Section Manager (Analytical Development – Protein Characterization)
Singapore, Tuas Singapore
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
You will be managing a new Analytical Development team within Development Services in Lonza Singapore, focusing on protein characterization using mass spectrometry and other analytical methods. The Development Services group is responsible for the development and characterization of manufacturing processes used for the production of novel therapeutic recombinant proteins for Lonza’s global client base.
You will be responsible for management of the Characterization team, ensuring that projects are delivered in a timely and efficient manner, training and development for all members of the team and driving innovative improvements. The team perform studies to characterize biopharmaceuticals to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the molecule attributes and to generate fully qualified and characterized reference materials that can be used as part of subsequent cGMP batch release testing in the QC laboratories.
- Set the example for safety and compliance for the team.
- Have a demonstrated track record and genuine interest in developing people and leading technical teams.
- Direct line manager for a team of up to 8 employees, providing training and development opportunities to develop robust succession plans.
- The role holder should have demonstrated experience with methods and instruments used for protein characterization such as LC-MS (peptide mapping, intact mass analysis and oligosaccharide profiling), icIEF, CE-SDS, HPLC (SEC, RP, HIC, IEX, HILIC) and SEC-MALS including expertise in the analysis of the resultant data.
- Plan and prepare for projects, schedule tasks, and assign duties to analysts to meet project timelines to ensure flawless delivery of high quality scientific studies across multiple parallel clinical phase (IND) and late stage validation (BLA) projects.
- Support department management to ensure sufficient resources (people/skill sets/equipment) are available to deliver projects to agreed timelines and budgets.
- Actively involved in communication delivered by the team to ensure an outstanding customer experience (written reports, teleconferences, face-to-face meetings).
- Demonstrate active and healthy collaboration with other departments locally and in Lonza’s global network to ensure consistency in technical approach.
- The team lead will provide coaching, mentoring and training for team members in the necessary scientific critique, technical skills, knowledge and capability to achieve the department’s objectives.
- Foster a culture where all employees can reach their maximum potential, communicate openly, work to the highest levels of scientific quality and integrity and function in a safe, orderly and enjoyable environment.
- Demonstrate flexibility to support other activities within the team / department.
- Should be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of the relevant ICH guidelines in the area of protein characterization.
- Degree/PhD in a relevant Science field or Equivalent
- Relevant work experience in Analytical Development or PhD with some years’ postdoctoral experience.
- Experience leading teams (ideally ≥ 4 direct reports) for ≥ 2 years is required.
- Practical laboratory experience using LC-MS systems is required although training can be provided.
- Experience working in a cGxP analytical environment would also be considered advantageous.
- Understanding of theory and application of protein structural analysis.
- Good problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Good team working skills.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.