Lead Scientist - Cell Culture and Molecular Biology
Lead Scientist - Cell Culture and Molecular Biology
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Due to growth within Lonza, we are seeking a highly motivated and experienced bio-processing Lead Scientist to join the cell engineering group in Cambridge, as part of a team focused on development, innovation, and execution of automated cell culture processes and other high/medium throughput cell line development techniques. We are seeking candidates with a variety of skills and experience to work on projects that seek to improve the manufacturing of complex therapeutic proteins. In particular, to create recombinant CHO cell lines and gene expression platforms with better performance characteristics. The person in this role will work in a high-performing, fast-paced collaborative environment supporting end-to-end development of recombinant CHO cell lines and platform optimization for our future CHO expression platform. Work will directly support development projects within Lonza
In the cell engineering team we include scientists with a diverse range of skills and experience across a range of fields including cell and molecular biology, mammalian cell culture, recombinant protein expression, protein engineering, and cell engineering. We apply this experience to further the development of new and emerging technologies in the field of biologics manufacturing, we also provide an interface between key academic partners and the industrial environment.
- Support and execution of cell line development activities
- Contribute to the design, execution and analysis of studies to narrow selection of candidate clones
- Directly support end-to-end automation of cell line development workflows and platform optimization
- Develop and implement solutions for clone screens and automation systems operated for cell line development
- Must work with minimal direction and guidance, with a high level of independence and flexibility
- Supervising staff - motivating and engaging teams by providing mentorship and training to develop their skills and capabilities
- Prepare reports, presentations and data sets to effectively communicate results, progress and plans within Lonza and also to external audiences
- Contribute to the delivery of new and/or improved CHO-based host cell lines and expression vectors for the production of complex therapeutic proteins
- Innovation and technology development of new expression systems and related process development services; to include key cell culture techniques - mammalian cell culture, transient/stable transfections, fed-batch culture, and evaluation of cell lines by flow cytometry/ FACS.
- Lead technical work under the direction of principal scientists and above
- Contribute ideas and opinions to scientific discussions to aid the development of new technologies
- Work closely with other groups within R&D to deliver solutions or improvements in recombinant protein manufacturing (in particular with R&D Process Development and analytics)
- Actively keep abreast of relevant academic literature
- 80% lab based role using your practical industry experience and knowledge
- Creating and/or manipulating mammalian expression systems; running various relevant cell culture systems e.g., static, suspension cell and bioreactor (Ambr) culture
- Function as a role model in the laboratory to more junior members of the group
- PhD Degree in Cell Biology / Bio processing/ Biotechnology or related field with at least 4 years of relevant experience
- Bioprocessing experience, either in industry or academia
- Strong skillset in mammalian cell culture
- Experience operating liquid handling platforms
- Experience in suspension culture of CHO cell lines (cell passaging, sterile operations, etc)
- Good working knowledge of statistics, expertise in design of experiments/multivariate techniques while not essential is desirable
- Knowledge of FACS or other clonal cell line construction techniques is desirable
- Experience of generating stable cell lines/pools
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.