Head of Device Service and Technical Support
United States, Walkersville (Maryland)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Head of Device Service and Technical Support directs and oversees all global activities for field service and scientific support teams for the Bioscience Solutions portfolio, within the served markets. Responsible for cultivating a team of experts to provide best-in-class on site installation and maintenance, application and technical support to customers. Establish and manage critical service metrics and systems to understand trends, seek solutions and support both external and internal customers. Create and manage all external service providers and contracts to maximize profitability. The successful candidate will be a strong leader with a proven track record of leading remote based teams and consistently delivering high quality results.
- Manages a global department of in field and on site application specialists. Creates functional strategies and specific objectives for this function and develops budget/policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure
- Establishes a team of field service engineers responsible for on-site installation of devices, in field service, testing, troubleshooting and preventative maintenance globally.
- Responsible for delivering service operational excellence, organic revenue growth and profitability across the device service team
- Actively identify and manage independent service providers, including contracts and pricing. Define and develop process for independent service providers and associated documentation/procedures globally to work alongside internal experts.
- Provide insight into new opportunities for business expansion through the field service engineers and customer interactions
- Responsible for helping define and execute on field service delivery for new product introductions
- Develop key customer and market trend insights to support the business strategy.
- Develop a team of core technical experts supporting our target customer groups and technology categories. Coordinate and provide routine technical support for customers, sales reps, and distributors.
- Develop and conduct technical training programs for customers, sales reps and distributors. Continuously develop and improve training programs to support sales goals.
- Manage, track and resolve customer complaints in accordance with company policy and procedures
- Monitor top tier customer issues, response times and resolution, with clear metrics in place.
- Displays extensive working knowledge of industry standards and practices.
- Champion for employee development and engagement
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Engineering or Life sciences
- Advanced experience as a field service manager, experience in establishment or management of a device service and scientific support team. Management of teams across different sites, including remote teams required.
- Experience in set up and management of a device service group is key
- Experience with establishment of channel partners and independent service providers globally for service
- Experience in technical services and customer support necessary.
- Ability to work on abstract problems across functional areas of business. Identifies and evaluates fundamental problems for major functional areas through assessment of intangible variables. Exercise independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Knowledge of life sciences
- GMP/ISO Compliance
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office and CRM, organization skills, recordkeeping, filing, time management, professional telephone skills, faxing, emailing, regular attendance
- Written and oral communication, team oriented, independent work skills, diplomacy, strong work ethic, facilitation skills, problem solving skills
- Knowledgeable and complies with all pertinent safety policies, rules and regulations.
- Ensures that all team members comply with safety rules and regulations.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.