Senior Purchasing & Accounts Payable Specialist
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is seeking a Senior Purchasing & Accounts Payable Specialist to join our team. This individual will lead the Purchasing and Accounts Payable processes for the Personalized Medicine business unit in Kingston, ON.
- Responsible for completing sourcing events, ensuring contractual compliance, obtaining client approvals, and coordinating to ensure proper shipment of orders.
- Implements and refines policies, procedures, work instructions and guidance documents related to the Procurement function in the Global Supply Chain (GSC) unit.
- Evaluates demand for raw materials and uses ERP to place order at Vendors
- Decides purchase quantities based on economic assessment and associated purchasing risk
- Builds strong relationships with Vendors and minimizes supply risk through regular touch base and vendor evaluations
- Reviews and creates Request for Information, Request for Purchase, Request for Quotes using ERP system
- Identifies potential savings based on minimum purchase quantities and available discounts
- Follows Global Lonza procurement policies and procedures
- Writes Work instructions and SOP and trains organization as required for the Purchasing process
- Create and place purchase orders with vendors and follow-up on deliveries
- Negotiate pricing, payment terms, and delivery schedules to optimize cost savings
- Analyze inventory levels and placed purchase orders based upon lead time and product demand to ensure Economic Order Quantity
- Collaborate with Engineering, Manufacturing and Supply Chain, R&D management to seek out and establish new suppliers per Lonza standards as needed
- Keep approved vendor list up to date (risk rating, status of agreements, etc...)
- Assist in the creation and maintaining of manufacturing process documentation including Bill of Materials and material routing
- Ensure all Vendor payments are made within agreed upon payment schedule
- Knowledgeable of Tax and deferment opportunities
- Track and report KPI’s including inventory levels, scrap/loss rates, material usage variance, pricing variance
- Maintain pricing of raw material, in-process material and finished goods in database
- Maintain minimum inventory levels to ensure raw material supply for production purposes
- Get management authorization for purchase order payments from appropriate manager, finance and ensure payments to vendors
- Keeping track of all payments and expenditures, purchase orders, invoices, statements, credits
- Reconciling processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances
- Paying vendors by scheduling pay checks and ensuring payment is received for outstanding credit; generally responding to all vendor enquiries regarding Invoices and payments
- Reconcile PO with Payable reports monthly for accuracy and timeliness
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Accounting or Economics; MBA preferred
- APICS or Certified Professional in Supply Chain Management (CPSM) Certification
- Significant experience in Purchasing and/or Supply Chain
- Accounting and Accounts Payable experience (understands P&L statements and general ledger (GL) accounts)
- ERP/MRP experience is essential (SAP, Visual/INFOR preferred)
- Negotiation skills
- Continuous Improvement mindset
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.