Director, Segment Marketing (FFM Media)
United States, Walkersville (Maryland)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Director, Segment Marketing, FFM (For Further Manufacturing) Media is responsible for delivering and executing the strategic and tactical business plans to achieve the sales and profit objectives for the designated portfolio area and will lead the creation & execution of messaging across the entire Lonza Bioscience Cell and Gene Therapy End to End products and service offering. This is a Senior Leadership position including management responsibility and covering a significant business scope.
- Work with the Sub Business Unit Head and other Functional leadership to establish and achieve the Portfolio strategy and tactical objectives, deliver on customer commitments and sales and profit targets.
- Closely collaborate with peers in Marketing, R&D and Operations to ensure that tactical plans, priorities and projects fit the business strategy. Champion and communicate the C> market segment strategy throughout Biosciences and the greater Lonza Organization.
Marketing Team Leadership
- Manage a team of marketing professionals that may include Product, Business Development and Market Intelligence Managers, to drive the complete life cycle and value chain of the products within the portfolio.
- Set clear and measurable team and individual objectives, provide regular feedback on performance, support development plans and activities, and address performance concerns.
- Deliver go-to-market and innovation strategies for the complete portfolio, and oversee the tactical initiatives required to achieve them, including: market intelligence, market development, advertising and communications, global pricing and channel strategy, sales training and support, and new product, IP and service projects.
- Manage and monitor the effectiveness of programs, including marketing campaigns and new product launches, and direct adjustments to ensure maximum ROI on activities.
- Build and maintain customer and industry relationships and company visibility necessary to drive the business strategy. Interface with users, key opinion leaders and customer facing internal teams such as Sales, Scientific Support and Marketing through regular field visits, conference attendance and industry expert panel participation.
- Ensure products within the portfolio address target market needs at the required quality and competitive standards.
Investments and Asset Utilization
- Provide critical inputs to Sales and Operations planning to ensure effective utilization of manufacturing assets and maximize customer service levels and profitability from the products within the portfolio.
- Develop business models and financial cases to support proposed initiatives. Work with finance to ensure that critical factors and risk profiles are considered for acquisition, transfer, development, production, commercialization and management of new and existing business investment opportunities.
- Oversee investment and development programs for the portfolio to ensure that funding is secured and spending and resource utilization stay within assigned budget, and that project objectives are delivered on time and within scope.
- Working with Business Unit and Corporate Business Development and Research and Development teams, identify and negotiate external partnerships and collaborations for development, OEM, licensing and incremental acquisitions. Drive or support efforts to secure ownership or privileged access to new technologies that enable execution of our strategy.
- Manage assigned budget and ensure that spending and resource allocation stays within targets.
- Manage project and program teams as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned to meet the business needs
- Work within the safety, FDA, ISO 9001 requirements of the associated production sites and legal entities
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a life sciences discipline; MBA in Marketing and/or PhD in life sciences discipline is preferred
- Substantial experience in Life Science Research and Drug Discovery Markets
- Significant Cell and/or Gene Therapy experience
- Significant experience in a senior product management or equivalent marketing, sales management or market development role
- Competence developing financial models, business cases and proposals using sound financial principles
- Expertise in technology scouting, market intelligence and voice of customer
- Significant experience managing new product development projects and conducting market and customer intelligence activities
- Prior experience with forecast and demand planning processes and tools.
- Previous experience with strategic planning, pricing, and developing marketing campaigns.
- Solid strategic negotiation skills
- Exceptional leadership skills, including the ability to develop credibility with senior management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Professional and effective presentation skills for a range of audiences at all levels of the organization
- Relevant technical and market/ customer knowledge of the assigned product areas and/or target applications is preferred.
- Previous experience with routine customer or client interactions in a sales or sales support function.
- Demonstrated success managing complex projects in a relevant business context. Formal project management training highly desired.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.