Associate Senior Scientist, Research and Development
United States, Bend (Oregon)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech has an open position for an Associate Senior Scientist, Research and Development to join the Bio-manufacturing R&D (Research and Development) team at our location in Bend, OR. This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic, cross-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers who focus on improving the manufacturing of biologics medicines.
As an Associate Senior Scientist, you will be responsible for working with a cross-disciplinary team to innovate and deliver solutions to bio-manufacturing challenges across the industry. You will routinely lead R&D development programs, design and conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data, and communicate and present results to Lonza research and development teams. You will apply strong biology and chemistry fundamentals in a hypothesis-driven environment to guide the development and tech transfer of new technologies across the Lonza organization.
You will be responsible for designing and executing experiments, providing technical leadership on development programs, interpreting and communicating results, and aiding in intellectual property development.
- Applying fundamental knowledge of biology and analytical biochemistry, including: protein chemistry, cell metabolism, cell biology, spectroscopy, and chromatography
- Helping to plan and lead R&D development programs
- Using scientific literature to aid in experimental design and interpretation of results
- Executing analytical techniques and benchtop chemistry, biochemistry, and biology experiments as an individual and as part of a team to deliver on program goals
- Developing novel methodologies for answering fundamental questions related to R&D development technologies
- Identifying and maintaining relationships with external collaborators to deliver on Lonza R&D objectives
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook to detail execution and results of experiments
- Communicate technical information to internal teams and/or teams external to Lonza in the form of oral and written correspondence, presentations, and reports
- Support writing publications and preparing intellectual property related materials
- Bachelors in bio-engineering with industry experience or M.S. in chemistry, biology, or biochemistry, with at least 3 years molecular biology or analytical chemistry lab experience, or Ph.D. with fundamental course work in chemistry, biology, and biochemistry may be considered.
- Previous experience in a laboratory setting is required
- Strong fundamentals in analytical biochemistry, chemistry, and biology
- Strong molecular biology technical skills, including cell culture, western blotting, ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay), qPCR (quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction), cloning/cell engineering
- Experience/exposure to other analytical skills- including HPLC (High-performance Liquid Chromatography) based methods, plate assays, LC/MS (Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry), Flow cytometry and NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) is desirable
- Experience with automation, high-throughput screening is desired
- Knowledge/experience relating to metabolism, cell cycle, NGS (Next Generation Sequencing) techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A strong drive to learn and contribute outside of your educational specialty
- A bias towards collaboration
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.