Research Associate, Research & Development, Downstream
United States, Houston (Texas)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The position will provide technical support to Lead Scientists in the execution of experiments aimed at the development of scalable, cGMP-compatible downstream processes for the purification of viral gene therapy products. It will additionally provide non-technical support for all other work-related activities as needed and assigned.
Has the ability to execute complex scientific experiments and interprets and summarizes the experimental results with minimal supervision.
- Plans and supports the successful development and execution of state-of-the-art purification processes that are compatible with Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) within the R&D matrix.
- Designs, executes and performs statistical analysis of experimental data, and contributes his/her scientific expertise toward the design, development and evaluation of new process ideas in support of R&D goals.
- Executes standard downstream purification techniques including, but not limited to filtration, TFF, chromatography, and operate and maintain complex instrumentation such as chromatography and TFF skids and their associated software.
- Maintains accurate, detailed records, experimental data and protocols following Lonza’s best documentation practices, and is knowledgeable and complies with all pertinent safety policies, rules and regulations.
- Prepares and analyzes data summary and data reports. Works with Lead Scientists to communicate and summarize results for internal and client meetings, written reports and presentations.
- Performs common laboratory maintenance as needed. Maintains stock of lab supplies and reagents in support of ongoing programs.
- Interacts with internal and external clients to document and transfer new and existing processes between functions and communicates and presents the work in meetings.
- Establishes and maintains a good working relationship within the operations department and other departments such as Process Development (PD), Quality Control (QC), Quality Assurance (QA) and Project Management (PM)
- Supports projects within his/her expertise and experience. Develops and improves new skills and knowledge necessary to successfully support assigned projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A Masters with at least intermediate years of experience or Bachelors with advance years of experience.
- Strong knowledge and detailed understanding of chromatographic purification methods.
- Hands-on experience with AKTA chromatography systems (Avant, Pure, Pilot) and Unicorn software preferred.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in downstream process development.
- Experience with Tangential Flow Filtration (TFF) and other filtration techniques.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Experience with nucleic acid and/or protein and/or biopolymer purification.
- Familiarity with DoE approaches preferred.
- Experience with statistical analysis of data preferred (Excel, JMP, Prism, etc.).
- Computer software skills including Microsoft Office, TrackWise, DMS, JMP, ERP system; accurate record keeping; ability to manage multiple projects; time management skills.
- Diplomacy; negotiation skills; written and oral communication skills; independent work skills; strong work ethic.
- Hands-on experience with bioreactor systems preferred.
- Knowledge of chemistry/cellular biology, various types of laboratory equipment, strong aseptic technique preferred.
- Knowledge on antibody –based methodologies including, but not limited to, immunocytochemistry, immunofluorescence, FACS analysis and ELISA preferred.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.