United Kingdom, Slough
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We have an exciting opportunity within Cell Culture Development (Research & Development) as a Technologist I based in Slough, UK. Cell Culture Development is responsible for the production of a wide range of proteins to support Lonza’s customer projects in the early development pipeline for manufacturing of therapeutic products. We are looking for a technologist skilled in mammalian cell culture techniques (preferably) to join our team. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to protocolled bioreactor runs, as well as standard bioreactor runs for material supply or cell line evaluation. This position, would involve working weekends as part of their normal working hours, which would include an allowance paid for unsociable hours. Full training provided.
Please note this role will be working either Thursday to Monday or Friday – Tuesday
- Mammalian cell culture (passaging, revival, cryopreservation and media preparation)
- Operation of bioreactors (inoculum grow up, wave stages, inoculation, daily monitoring and harvest)
- Cell line stability studies
- Customer project involvement in bioreactor activities
- Draft COSHH assessments for review by COSHH assessor
- Delivery of work in line with expected standards (safety, on time, right first time to the appropriate degree of quality)
- Execute experimental plans, analyze and interpret experimental data, record with diligence and maintain experimental results in relevant databases
- Equipment ownership where applicable
- Adherence to good laboratory practice including cGMP where applicable
- Operation of different equipment in line with bioreactors with standard, documented processes and procedures
- Escalating issues in a timely fashion (technical)
- Be willing and ready to learn new cell culture techniques
- Reporting results to appropriate audience (e.g. customer presentations, data summaries, reports)
- Completion and peer review of laboratory documentation accurately
- Any other reasonable activities which are required or deemed necessary
- Contribute to the routine lab maintenance to maintain high standards and participate in safety inspections
- Degree in relevant scientific / technical discipline or appropriate laboratory experience. Experience in aseptic mammalian cell culture is preferable.
- Technical competence in appropriate scientific discipline or technology
- Able to notice and report anomalies in data and execution
- Able to work under supervision to an established plan and work as part of a team
- Proficiency with standard software such as Microsoft Office
- Ability to work in a fast paced team driven environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.