Head of Operational Excellence
United Kingdom, Slough
Head of Operational Excellence
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are looking for a Head of Operational Excellence to join our Operational Excellence & Strategic Projects function based at our clinical development and manufacturing site in Slough, UK. The successful candidate will lead the Operational Excellence function, which comprises a team of Operational Excellence Business Partners to deliver business results linked to the Dedicated to Excellence strategy. Support and coach the site leadership team to implement OE principles, systems and tools and facilitate Hoshin Strategic planning and deployment. Work across functions to align and engage the site on the Site X-Matrix and ensure strong Project Portfolio Management (PPM). Coach/Mentor Project Team Members, Yellow / Green & Black Belts and Site leadership Team. Embed Lean Six Sigma systems to sustain a culture of improvement.
- Lead, direct, manage and coach OE team.
- Develop OE strategic plan, deploy Hoshin planning and drive Innovation.
- Seek alignment of business objectives with the philosophy of process improvement to support the vision of Operational Excellence.
- Use project management tools to execute DMAIC projects
- Coach and mentor Leadership Team in OE principles, systems and tools.
- Attend Monthly SLT Governance Meeting
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certification (or equivalent experience).
- Extensive experience in an OE role with a proven track record.
- Thorough understanding of Lean Principals.
- Strong project management, facilitation, Microsoft Excel /Office/Minitab or equivalent, analytical and communication skills.
- Strong people management experience.
- Significant experience in Operations - Ideally experience of leading an operational function in the laboratory or manufacturing.
- Proven and demonstrated leadership, influencing and interpersonal skills – highly efficient effective communicator with skills to influence, persuade and gain the cooperation of others at all levels within a matrix management business environment.
- Excellent natural coaching and people leadership skills.
- Extremely good prioritization skills & right attention to detail depending on the situation.
- Excellent presentation skills and knowledge of different problem solving techniques.
- Demonstrate initiative with a highly proactive approach to the job with an ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, pressured environment.
- Ability to manage within a matrix management system to achieve successful outcomes for the assigned portfolio of projects.
- Ability to chair meetings professionally and efficiently.
- Global focus & well-developed networking within Lonza network, connection to other sites and technologies.
This is an exciting, high profile opportunity for the right person to come on board and define and steer the OE plan for the site and define the direction of the team in order to deliver the business strategy.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.