Associate Director, Commercial Development
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Associate Director, Commercial Development will develop and commercialize targeted business, & offerings approaches and operative pricing strategies that facilitate the Mammalian BU’s expansion strategy. Ensure the BU’s strategy sustainably delivers sales and profitability growth targets.
- Drive and develop business offerings (new and optimization of existing ones) and business models strategies through deep understanding of the market, customers' needs and competition.
- Launch the offerings to commercial teams in alignment with strategic marketing, including trainings, support in customers discussions, negotiations etc.
- Actively contributes to the development of the BU strategy and manages agreed commercial strategic plans to deliver planned business growth goals
- Provides commercial input to the long-range asset optimization plan to ensure commercial and operational alignment
- Determines pricing strategy and business guidelines to manage and balance the long-term customer and product portfolio to maximise and sustain healthy GP and capacity utilization
- Maintains a strong understanding of the commercial landscape through harnessing competitive and market intelligence input with operational capability to identify and target market growth opportunities
- Determine creative business approaches for go-to-market opportunities, preparing business case, launch plans and value propositions to support successful long-term portfolio development
- Controls and reports progress against the rolling 2-year commercial plan, owns go/no-go decisions for sales and proposals teams, and prioritizes short-term business conflicts to manage portfolio optimization in order to meet operations planning
- Defines and communicates the BU commercial strategy internally, Facilitate good customer relationship management by supporting the sales team during the proposal and contract negotiation processes and ongoing awareness and interaction with customers within the governance structure of each agreement e.g. JSC’s
- Scientific knowledge: Excellent understanding of the future trends in Biopharma and CMO market. Ability to present at key conferences and organize customer specific events
- Masters in a life sciences subject. Ph.D. and MBA preferred
- Industry knowledge in related function, job or technology.
- Proven experience in generating business strategies.
- Strong technical and commercial international background with >10y business experience in the pharmaceutical supply industry, including experience of contract terminology and negotiation.
- Knowledge across mammalian development/IND requirements and CMC activities/commercial launch and long term supply.
- Ability to identify creative commercial, workable solutions.
- Strong team player/collaborative mindset
- Industry networker
- Excellent Communication & Presentation skills
- Willingness to travel globally
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strategic and tactical Marketing knowledge. Go-To-Market approaches; Pricing methodologies in a B2B environment and proven persuasive communication skills
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.