Senior Automation & Controls Engineer
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Sr. Automation and Controls Engineer will be responsible for providing technical leadership and direct support in the execution and delivery of Automation and Instrumentation aspects of large Capital projects within Lonza USA, including adherence to schedule and budgets, engineering design of new facilities (Basis of Design, Conceptual, and Detailed Design), and collaboration with/leadership of cross functional teams consisting of Internal Lonza customers such as SGIE project team members and Manufacturing, MSAT, and Quality Assurance to properly identify design needs.
- Responsible for providing technical leadership and direct support in the execution and delivery of large Capital projects within Lonza.
- Leadership and coordination of cross functional teams consisting of Internal Lonza customers such as Manufacturing, MSAT, and Quality Assurance to properly identify design needs.
- General management and oversight to the software documentation effort as well as assist with development of project schedule and then assure that software development, hardware purchase and install, and validation efforts adhere to plan.
- Direct and manage activities of technical staff on URS/FRS generation, software configuration and coding, DCS hardware specification as well as specification and selection of instrumentation and control panel design.
- Construction, commissioning, startup activities; to include but not limited to, management of engineering contractors, coordination and management of project activities, participation of FATs and SATs, ensuring consistency and software revision control, troubleshooting, reviewal of Engineering Turnover Packages.
- Protocol management and execution of validation activities.
- Provide routine project management updates in accordance with Lonza procedures.
- Responsible for all controlled engineering documentation throughout the project lifecycle and provide technical input in support of equipment procurement, bid package preparation, bid evaluation, and vendor selection.
- Project Close-out activities involving completion of technical close-out reports and summary of assets in accordance with Lonza financial recognition requirements.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent; Bachelor’s Degree Required – candidate should have BS EE, ChemE, MechE or BioEOr equivalent experience.
- Substantial experience with design and operation of Biopharmaceutical facilities, both manufacturing and support systems (cGMP manufacturing, pilot plant & laboratories).
- Experience with control systems (PLC, DCS, Loop controllers) desirable.
- Significant experience in project management and coordination associated with the execution of capital projects in an industrial environment
- Practical experience in the management and coordination of engineering & construction management consultants, equipment vendors and contractors.
- Capacity to deliver strong and effective project engineering skills on capital projects
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of large scale commercial mammalian cell culture processing.
- Understanding of the latest ASME Bioprocess Equipment standard including sanitary design of equipment/piping systems and design for Cleaning in place (CIP) and Sterilization in place (SIP) design and operation.
- Experience with design and operation of large scale Process Control Systems (PCS), preferably the Emerson DeltaV platform.
- Experience with historians, preferably OSISoft PI and with the design and operation of Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES), preferably Emerson Syncade
- Experience with MES integration with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, preferably SAP
- Experience with design (including system hardware) of PCS, MES and associated Network Architecture
- Experience with virtual machines, preferably VMware
- Candidate must have strong communication and project management skills
- Mus be a team player with exceptional customer service skills, integrity and ability to interact with all levels of personnel.
- Requires strong attention to detail and analytical skills as well as problem analysis and resolution.
- Ability to quickly adjust to a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Ability to handle multiple projects (5-10) simultaneously, keeping track of costs and schedule and ensuring compliance with quality and safety standards.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite with focus on Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if it is not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.