Engineering Project Director, CAPEX
United States, Walkersville (Maryland)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Engineering Project Director, CAPEX (Strategic Growth Investment & Engineering) will be the Network Lead accountable for planning & delivering a portfolio of large and small growth investments as well as small scale CAPEX engineering projects to support the Lonza Pharma Biotech & Nutrition (LPBN) Bioscience Business Unit (BU) growth objectives globally and in an effective, compliant, safe and innovative way.
This role ensures that the LPBN Bioscience BU (comprised of multiple sites world-wide involved in cell based media manufacturing and medical devices) is supported in their capacity expansion and facility growth & maintenance ambitions by a world class engineering and project management organization. This role needs to closely align and collaborate with the Head of Cell & Gene Therapy/Bioscience SGIE and team, and, if relevant, align with colleagues in other geographies as needed to ensure a cohesive "CAPEX engineering approach" globally.
- Building and leading a team of experts in Engineering, Project Management and Project Initiation focused on delivering the Bioscience BU needs. Ensure that this team is fully aligned with customer needs and capable of delivering customer value faster than the competition from project initiation to execution.
- Building a high performing Bioscience matrixed team with a well-developed sense of commercial acumen combined with strong traditional project management & engineering skills. Within the team:
- Create a spirit of enterprise and innovation
- Develop a Project Engineering Culture that goes beyond industry standards in terms of innovation, speed and agility.
- Enhance fundamental Engineering and Technological principles
- Providing innovative solutions by design and ensuring that Bioscience BU has the innovative capabilities to deliver differentiated solutions for the company and its clients to maintain a competitive edge vs competition.
- Direct management of all Bioscience BU Strategic Growth Investments and smaller scale CAPEX maintenance support projects from initiation to delivery of the first batch.
- Managing Strategic Planning & Budgeting for the Bioscience BU portfolio in its entirety.
- Ensuring that project technical, financial, and/or commercial risks are identified, documented, communicated and mitigated.
- Preparation of Contract Documentation for issue and analysis of returned tenders & selection of contractors
- Overseeing all aspects of engineering build design from contract award to handover.
- Significantly build the level of aseptic technological expertise within all BU projects
- Ensuring BU projects are managed in accordance with standards in order to meet technical performance, budget, schedule and QA/compliance requirements
- Directly engaging in managing and quickly resolving critical issues that arise. Provide escalation paths for Business Partners, SGIE Project Teams and Functions.
- Become an integral member and contributor to the Bioscience Operations BU Management Team, providing input and support on strategic growth projects concerning facility expansion and other CAPEX projects.
- Work together within SGIE to:
- Oversee Contractor Selection Process
- Develop and maintain best practice for project management, and contract management
- Develop and implement an agile estimating and planning process
- Improve the Planning and Scheduling and Risk management system capabilities
- Perform other duties as assigned/needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering discipline, Masters/MBA preferred
- PMP and/or PMA Certification preferred
- Substantial experience leading Senior CAPEX engineering teams in a biopharmaceutical environment
- Significant experience with Aseptic Processes (liquid filling and dry powder granulation)
- An outstanding mastery of all the necessary engineering and project management disciplines required to support the BS BU engineering portfolios.
- Strong operational experience in cGMP manufacturing technologies and aseptic practices
- Creative thinker and change manager – cannot be just a steady pair of hands
- Strong commercially as well as able to lead technological innovation.
- Capable of envisioning and designing new ways of working
- Works well with others in a collaborative, high-paced environment. Relationship builder.
- Can build and develop strong teams.
- Very strong problem solver – Logical and Analytical
- Self-starter – needs minimal direction
- Will be an experienced leader, with a strong presence capable of commanding the respect of senior colleagues and subordinates.
- Able to influence peers; determined and resilient. Patient, dependable, precise.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.