Business Development Manager - BENELUX
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
As Business Development Manager you will proactively identify and build new customer relationships for Lonza to deliver year on year revenue and pipeline opportunity growth targets for Lonza Pharma Biotech. You are responsible to effectively promote current technical capabilities and new technologies as they become available to facilitate generation and closing of new clinical development business opportunities in Biologics. This role will be focused on generating new business across our Applied Protein Services, Mammalian, Microbial, Bioconjugates and Drug Product service offerings for the BENELUX market.
- Responsible for generating new business from new customers through a high level of customer contact including frequent direct customer visits and extensive networking activities.
- Demonstrate strategic business awareness of the market and customers in order to differentiate Lonza from the competition
- Effectively promote current technical capabilities and emerging / new technologies as they become available to facilitate generation and closing of new business opportunities. Primary means of achieving through e-mail communications, phone conversations, face-to-face meetings, and customer tailored presentations.
- Network and build trust-based relationships throughout target accounts from technical personnel to the executive level.
- Effectively communicate Lonza’s position and negotiate contracts where appropriate
- Maintains strong technical and market knowledge to enable meaningful conversations with prospective customers
- Work with marketing, account managers and product development to develop strategies that ensure Lonza’s position as the leading solutions provider.
- Formulate value propositions to generate opportunities to address the customers' needs
- Identify market trends, assesses market potential and develop strategies to grow market share using data from customer base / market and communicating effectively with internal stakeholders.
- Provide timely, industry leading customer support and defines and interfaces with internal resources, when necessary
- Close collaboration and teamwork with internal stakeholders to ensure successful closure of opportunities
- Embracing internal tools such as Sales Force to assure smooth progress of project flows
- Supporting transfer of accounts to Account Management as the customer interaction increases
- Open to understand and identify potential opportunities for other Business Units
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Master's degree in Life Science's or Engineering. PhD and/or MBA preferred
- Preferred area of study: Biology, Biochemistry, or related Engineering
- Significant commercial experience in the Pharmaceutical, Biotech or CDMO space
- Proven track record in delivering year on year business targets for complex high value deals
- Strong understanding of drug development and commercialization processes.
- Strong technical understanding of drug substance and drug product manufacturing processes
- Drivers License
- Good command of English, written and verbal, other language skills considered an asset.
- Proven ability to generate PowerPoint presentations
- High level of understanding of the drug development process from pre-clinical to clinical development and commercialization
- Understanding of SalesForce.com customer contact management system
- Strong interpersonal skills. Creative, adaptable, capable of self-motivation and independence
- “Can Do” mentality with the ability for the bigger impact
- Customer facing attitude. The ability to build relationships based on trust and long term commitment. Strong gravitas, particularly in specific technology area of focus
- Leadership skills
- Experience of working in and driving teams to a specific customer based result.
- Has strong personal belief and self-confidence in their ability to effectively communicate technical capabilities in area of focus.
- Has the drive and desire to constantly improve selling skills
- Has energy level and engaging style to easily form a range of customer relationships from technical / project to executive level.
- Has focus and ability to pull people together from different parts of the business in order to reach a common goal
- Strong team player
- Builds enduring customer relationships based on trust
- Is optimistic and has the tenacity to bounce back from rejection
- Is keen to understand customer motivation and customer value drivers to realize full account potential
- Is comfortable operating with degrees of ambiguity
- Is objective in decision-making and balancing risk
- Demonstrates strong business awareness and commercial acumen in positioning Lonza products/services
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.