Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas which enable businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to do.
The current listing is for a Software Architect who will provide technical leadership for a Team of experienced software professionals creating best-in-class software for primarily the Cocoon® Platform product family. The Cocoon® Platform is an automated, scalable, and functionally closed-process cell therapy manufacturing platform. The Cocoon® is used to manufacture multiple types of cell therapy with applications in oncology (i.e. CAR-T), regenerative medicine (i.e. HSCs, MSCs) and tissue engineering (i.e. orthopedics).
The Software Architect role described here is crucial for the Cocoon’s® continued success and development as a leading manufacturing platform. Some skills required include conceptual product design, software architecture ownership, scheduling and progress monitoring. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with hands-on programming, software component design, documentation according to SDLC processes, and various R&D / Innovation activities.
- Software product design and architecture. Identify required software components then coordinate design and implementation. Coordinate with other products to ensure common product development strategy, technology standardization, and component re-use.
- Complete familiarity with software design and implementation life cycle. Lead software product design and implementation activities drawing from user requirements then moving solution to system integration, validation and release.
- Identify scope of work, own product development schedule, report progress, and meet deadlines.
- Implement SDLC processes including Requirements, Risks, Issues and Configuration management. Report quality KPIs.
- Provide technical guidance to fellow Team members via the use of industry-standard practices and techniques.
- Participate in hands-on programming, documentation and other software activities as needed.
- Maintain and evolve the software team's DevOps infrastructure.
- Proactively collaborate with fellow Software, Engineering, Biology, Service and other teams.
- Identify required skills and competencies both for the Software Team and for oneself, propose learning paths.
Software product design skills:
- Expert software architecture design skills including such for distributed and cloud-based systems.
- Extensive experience identifying software components, their requirements, interface definitions.
- Extensive system integration, verification and validation experience.
- Strong understanding of the V design model and its practical implementation experience.
- Good knowledge of IEC 62304 or similar industry standards.
- Expert requirements gathering, design specification, traceability maintenance skills.
- Expert Requirements, Risks, Issues and Configuration management skills.
- Expert design documentation skills and being comfortable producing it as required by the SDLC process.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills. Ability to learn biological, engineering and business concepts as required for software product design.
- Expert .NET coding skills, including WPF, ASP .NET, EF, asynchronous operations and multi-threading, secure communications, authentication and authorization.
- Expert software component implementation skills including: test driven coding, dependency injection, unit testing.
- Advanced level of MS SQL Server database design including T-SQL programming, index and query optimization. Familiarity with non-relational databases is an advantage.
- Advanced DevOps skills, preferably with MS Azure DevOps Server / Services.
- Experience communicating with hardware via COM and USB ports, communicating over industrial networks (i.e. CANbus) is a strong advantage.
- Experience working with cloud frameworks (Azure, AWS) is an advantage.
- Experience designing and implementing .NET cross-platform applications is an advantage.
Experience and education:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar.
- 10+ years overall Software Development experience; 5+ years designing and implementing software products.
- Extensive experience working in the Medical Device Software industry or in one with similar process, reliability and quality requirements (i.e. Avionics Software) is a strong asset.
- Possession of a relevant Associate or Expert Microsoft Certification is a strong asset.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.