Scientist III, Product Development
United States, Bend (Oregon)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech’s Bend, OR location has an excellent opportunity for an experienced Scientist III, Oral Solid Dosage Formulations, Product Development who will be responsible for the research and development of pharmaceutical and drug delivery products in collaboration with internal and client project teams. A successful Scientist III must proactively seek and acquire knowledge to enhance expertise in recognized disciplines, be sound in fundamental scientific knowledge and methods, proactively design model-based studies for multiple programs, proficiently execute a wide range of techniques and processes, demonstrate effective communications internal and external to the organization, be a leader and mentor in the laboratory environment, and contribute to research, innovation and continuous improvement.
As a Scientist III you will be responsible for both customer-based product design and development, as well as the internal development and progression of lead technology areas. You will routinely design and conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data, and communicate and present results to both internal and external research and development teams. You will apply scientific fundamentals in a hypothesis-driven environment to guide and support the development of methods, formulations, and processes needed to promote product success at all stages of the product life cycle.
You will be able to work both independently, and as part of multi-disciplinary teams. You should possess a continuous improvement mindset, and demonstrate excellence in matters of safety, science, operations, and quality. You will be a leader seeking to meet on-time deliverables of your highest quality, and a team-player supporting the success of your colleagues, peers, and organization.
- Lead research and development activities in collaboration with clients and internal technical teams to define strategy and execute work plans
- Apply knowledge of pharmaceutics plus chemistry, material science, and engineering to solve challenges around: safety, drug delivery, formulation, analytics, and manufacturing
- Design, execute, review, and interpret experiments to make decision recommendations toward the product development strategy
- Adhere to scientifically-sound practices; including both model-based and risk-based approaches to research, design, development, scale-up, and technology transfers of formulations, methods, and processes
- Communicate technical information to internal teams and/or clients in the form of oral and written correspondence, presentations, and reports
- Support products throughout clinical development and manufacturing activities
- Prepare written documents such as standard operating procedures, memos, reports, and technology transfer documentation
- Evaluate instruments, equipment, processes, and systems to improve safety, quality, and performance
- Education: Entry level Ph.D. in pharmaceutical sciences or related discipline such as chemical engineering or material science; or M.S. or B.S. with significant experience in pharmaceutical formulation development
- Proven technical skills in problem solving, analytical techniques, data gathering, and interpretation
- Ability to perform tests and modify techniques where required for a range of chemicals, formulations, and dosage forms
- Ability to lead, train, and direct activities of a team toward time-sensitive deliverables
- Work successfully in a fast-paced, dynamic, highly collaborative, scientifically-driven, team-oriented, and customer-focused environment inclusive of research, development, and GMP manufacturing
- Understanding of pharmaceutical regulations, industry guidelines and knowledge of GMP practices is preferred
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.