CAPEX Engineering Project Lead
United States, Houston (Texas)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Project Lead,Cell Gene Therapy (Houston) is assigned to one or multiple specific growth investment projects and is responsible for planning, managing and executing CGT growth investment projects through the complete project pathway (i.e. ideation thru to production). This includes the co-ordination of assigned project(s)/activities at the CGT Houston sites and involving multiple parties, while providing leadership to the project team(s). Support and delivery of projects and programs at other Lonza sites is also likely at times. This is an engineering discipline role. You will have cross interaction with validation engineers, facility management, and operations.
- Manage key growth investment projects for Lonza's Houston CGT facility.
- Responsible for delivery of project goals in terms of cost, time, functionality and according to client expectations. Total project budget responsibility of ~15-30 MCHF total over 1-2 years.
- Responsible for the maintenance of quality systems and Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) compliance for the business by ensuring that all project managers and teams comply with processes, procedures and instructions for all activities in which the team participates
- Management of weekly CORE team meetings. Development of Core team in alignment with key Operations/Business Unit Stakeholders. Assign and manage roles and responsibilities including project RACI matrix.
- Establish project charters including scope of work, goals and deliverables together with the relevant project champion to support business objectives in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
- Securing optimal flow of information within project organization and at interfaces with project champion/CAPEX Steering committee/ project steering committee as well as any other relevant stakeholders
- Creating, executing and updating project work plans as appropriate to meet the changing needs and requirements within either the wider CGT/BS SGIE team and/or the wider Tech Ops community.
- Identifying, recommending and interviewing the internal and /or external resources to reach the project goals and managing day-to-day operational aspects of projects.
- Ensuring that project schedule, technical, financial, and/or commercial risks are, identified, documented, and communicated ahead of project impact. Develop Core team aligned mitigation options as needed for elevation and approval.
- Leveraging best practices and tools for project management and execution in a fast-paced generic product development environment.
- Establishing the project team/ structure necessary to reach the project goals and ensures appropriate coaching/development/performance feedback to all direct reports in order to develop a strong and competent team.
- Additional responsibilities are added as needed.
- Bachelor or Master degree in Engineering (chemical, mechanical, process, pharmaceutical, biochemical engineering or equivalent) or long time and in-depth project management or operational experience in multiple international environments.
- Extensive experience in project engineering for biochemical, CGT, pharmaceutical industries and facility layout and optimization.
- Vast experience and expertise in the field of site/facility/process and utility functionality, setup and layout, knowledge of current technology in the field of CGT, building, building technology, Aseptic processes, Fill/Finish, automation and utility technologies.
- International experience strongly desired.
- Experienced in cGMP regulatory requirements, facility design and master planning.
- Familiar with project management software and tools.
- Strong leader, motivating team player, drives results, excellent communication skills and experience in managing matrix-based cross-functional teams.
- Solid internal and external collaboration and influencing skills and the ability to lead diverse, cross-functional teams in the successful delivery of project initiations and successfully transitioning into project execution.
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Capable of imagining and creating a future-oriented design of the business and able to convincingly communicate this at all levels of the business.
- Able to constructively challenge the status quo and bring new ideas and ways of working.
- Ability to travel at least 25% and overnight.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.