Lead Scientist/Study Director - Characterisation
United Kingdom, Slough
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Here at Lonza Slough, we have an amazing opportunity for a Lead Scientist/Study Director to join our world leading Characterisation Team. Study Director and Technical Reviewer for the characterisation and comparability of therapeutic proteins to cGMP. Ownership of characterisation stages of work, including writing and review of protocols and reports, reviewing associated data and technical oversight. Review of assays for the Characterisation team as a whole. The person will be mainly office based, however, will also be expected to observe assays performed by other analysts in the laboratory and provide technical support.
- Study Director for stages of work within Characterisation. Responsible for the planning, protocol, data and associated report content and on time delivery for the given studies.
- Performs technical review of assays performed for characterisation and comparability studies, which are carried out against standard operating procedures, protocols and GMP principles.
- Plans and completes assigned tasks within the required timeframe.
- To assigning assays for technical review to the team and manage the timeline to ensure delivery to the teams priorities.
- Liaise with operators and other Study Directors to close out technical review of assays. Assays to review include: electrophoresis (e.g. SDS PAGE, CE SDS, icIEF), HPLC (e.g. GPC, IEX, peptide map and oligosaccharide analysis), circular dichroism, FT-IR, AUC and mass spectrometry-based methods
- Communicate progress and escalate challenges to Line Manager and/or scientific lead as appropriate.
- Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Life Science
- Familiarity with methods and instruments used for protein characterisation such as LC-MS (peptide mapping, intact mass analysis and oligosaccharide profiling), icIEF, CE-SDS, HPLC (SEC, RP, HIC, IEX, HILIC) and SEC-MALS
- Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn from experience
- Treats errors as a learning opportunity
- Supports a culture of process improvement and problem solving
- Demonstrates an openness to trying new approaches
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.