Senior Manager, Business Development (Southern California)
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is actively seeking a Senior Manager, Business Development (Southern California) to join our Biologics (Mammalian & Microbial Development & Manufacturing (MMDM) business unit. This individual will be expected to proactively identify and build new customer relationships for Lonza to deliver year on year revenue and pipeline opportunity growth targets for Lonza Pharma Biotech in Southern California. Additionally, will effectively promote current technical capabilities and new technologies as they become available to facilitate generation and closing of new clinical development business opportunities in Biologics. This role will be focused on generating new business across our Applied Protein Services, Mammalian, Microbial, Bioconjugates and Drug Product service offerings.
- Responsible for generating new business from new customers through a high level of customer contact including frequent direct customer visits and extensive networking activities.
- Demonstrate strategic business awareness of the market and customers in order to differentiate Lonza from the competition
- Effectively promote current technical capabilities and emerging / new technologies as they become available to facilitate generation and closing of new business opportunities. Primary means of achieving through e-mail communications, phone conversations, face-to-face meetings, and customer tailored presentations.
- Network and build trust based relationships throughout target accounts from technical personnel to the executive level.
- Effectively communicate Lonza’s position and negotiate contracts where appropriate
- Maintains strong technical and market knowledge to enable meaningful conversations with prospective customers
- Work with marketing, account managers and product development to develop strategies that ensure Lonza’s position as the leading solutions provider.
- Formulate value propositions to generate opportunities to address the customers' needs
- Identify market trends, assesses market potential and develop strategies to grow market share using data from customer base / market and communicating effectively with internal stakeholders.
- Provide timely, industry leading customer support and defines and interfaces with internal resources, when necessary
- Close collaboration and team work with internal stakeholders to ensure successful closure and of opportunities
- A Master's degree in a life sciences discipline. PhD and/or MBA preferred.
- Significant commercial experience selling services/biologics in the Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization (CDMO), Contract Manufacturing Organization (CMO) or biotech space.
- Proven track record in delivering year on year business targets for complex high value deals
- Strong understanding of drug development process from pre-clinical to clinical development and commercialization. Strong technical understanding of drug substance and drug product manufacturing processes.
- Understanding of SalesForce.com customer contact management system
- Demonstrates strong business awareness and commercial acumen in positioning Lonza products/services
- Has strong personal belief and self-confidence in their ability to effectively communicate technical capabilities in area of focus.
- Has energy level and engaging style to easily form a range of customer relationships from technical / project to executive level.
- Has focus and ability to pull people together from different parts of the business in order to reach a common goal
- Builds enduring customer relationships based on trust
- Is optimistic and has the tenacity to bounce back from rejection
- Is keen to understand customer motivation and customer value drivers to realise full account potential
- Is comfortable operating with degrees of ambiguity
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.