Director of Sales, North America East
United States, Morristown (New Jersey)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech (LPB) is actively seeking a Director of Sales, North America East. The primary responsibility of this position is to drive overall portfolio sales growth of the Small Molecules Division in the North America East region. The accounts managed include a mix of cutting edge Biotech’s, Specialty pharmaceutical and major global pharmaceutical entities where the full LPB portfolio is sold. Through management of seven (7) direct reports (Account + Business Development Managers), the Director of Sales will oversee implementation of customer-focused sales and marketing plans. Utilizing a strong knowledge of the drug development process from investigational new drug (IND) to regulatory approval. This individual is expected to play a key role in fostering strong customer relationships and provide feedback to internal teams so that Lonza can continuously optimize both its offers and service levels.
- Manage drafting and implementation of sales plans that align with the Small Molecule Division’s strategy. For the global accounts, plans should align with both the Small Molecule and Bio divisions strategy.
- Achieve revenue growth targets: Manage and assist the sales team to achieve required opportunity closure rates.
- Achieve new project win rates: Manage and assist the sales team to sign / close both required number and type of new opportunities across the LPB portfolio, including Bio targets at global accounts managed by the Small Molecule team.
- Establish management control measures and disciplines to deliver target revenues, understand account profitability, and where appropriate develop actionable profit improvement strategies.
- Actively lead or support major proposals and contract negotiation processes to close deals effectively and maximize value for both customer and Lonza.
- Customer Satisfaction / Centricity: Champion outstanding customer service both internally and externally with customers by consistently seeking feedback and communicating expectations to internal teams.
- Act as a point of escalation and business support to the business unit teams and sales teams to facilitate creative resolution of significant obstacles to positive customer relationships or securing new business
- Facilitate regional sales team development through effective recruitment, coaching, mentoring and training to increase the capability of the team to close opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a life sciences discipline (i.e. biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, pharmaceutical sciences, etc.)
- Substantial experience working within a Contract Development & Manufacturing Organization (CDMO) in a management role; with significant experience in sales team management capacity
- Substantial customer relationship management (CRM)/Salesforce.com (SFDC) expertise
- Substantial negotiation experience (average deal value >1M CHF)
- Ability to analyze sales data in excel format. Quantify largest customers, distinguish new customers versus existing customers
- Assemble individual travel and sales target budgets in manner such that an overall target level is obtained.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law