Associate Principal Scientist - Protein Protein Interactions R&D
United Kingdom, Slough
Associate Principal Scientist - Protein Protein Interactions (R&D)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are looking for a very experienced Associate Principal Scientist to join our Analytical R&D team based at our Slough, UK manufacturing facility. This role is for a high-level scientific position in Analytical R&D. It requires extensive experience in set up and data interpretation of biomolecular interaction assays, ideally in the area of analytical characterization of biotherapeutics by surface plasmon resonance (SPR) biolayer interferometry (BLI) and other biophysical methods. The Analytical R&D team’s function is to deliver high-value technical innovation to Lonza Pharma&Biotech, both via specialist Analytical projects and as part of wider collaborative project teams.
- The incumbent will provide scientific leadership and direction within the team and through external collaborations.
- The incumbent will be responsible for oversight and execution of the scientific activities of the team, which will include elements of laboratory work, scientific review and coaching, project management, professional mentoring, technology scouting and driving implementation of new technologies within the Lonza network.
- PhD in Life Sciences / Science or equivalent - preferred area of study: Biochemistry / Biophysics / Biomanufacturing
- Detailed knowledge and practical expertise in SPR, BLI and other biomolecular interaction characterisation techniques. Thorough understanding of the state of the art of the technologies and its applications in the area of analytical characterization of biotherapeutics.
- Excellent practical industry and/or academic experience in an analytical laboratory
- Documented history of high-quality publications / patent filings in the field of biomolecular interaction analysis
- A good general background in established analytical methods within the industry, including the strengths and weaknesses of various approaches
- Understanding of the markets Lonza serves
- A good technology and practical competence in a range of analytical methods, in particular in protein binding assays
- An ability to effect change within an organisation
- Coaching and development of personnel
- Interpersonal skills to deliver technical projects within a matrix organisation
- Ability to scope and design of complex projects
- Proven ability to deliver innovative solutions to scientific challenges
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.