Senior Strategic Buyer - Indirect
United States, Houston (Texas)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Houston has an exceptional opportunity for a Senior Strategic Buyer – Indirect who reports to the Regional Category Manager. This individual will collaborate effectively with the central procurement team to deliver value to site stakeholders; partner with key stakeholders across sites to ensure business continuity and procurement meet site business needs and manage supplier relationships and performance at site level. This individual provides purchasing expertise in tendering, negotiation, contracting and purchasing systems and will manage delegated spend ( 50-75 million annual spend). They will also lead and line manage indirect operational buyers.
- Support Central Category Manager with category strategy development (e.g. provide site current and future business needs)
- Support implementation and execution of category strategies at site level
- Support the execution of sourcing initiatives for delegated spend across assigned sites
- Provide purchasing expertise in tendering, negotiation tactics, planning and contracting
- Support global and regional sourcing efforts
- Support the role out of new procurement policies/procedures and tools
- Support the optimization of transactional costs & efficiency of procurement activities (e.g. automation rates)
- Ensure business continuity and supply/availability of indirect materials for production
- Partner with site stake holders to understand and support the delivery of current and future business needs
- Work with site controllers to provide spend and savings forecasts to management
- Manage supplier changes and transitions
- Maintain and drive professional partnership/collaboration with suppliers
- Manage portfolio of suppliers and ensure compliance with requirements/policies
- Support comprehensive supply risk assessment across existing supplier portfolio (including: single source, capacity constraints, financial risks)
- Development and implement mitigation solutions for key business risks identified
- Be aware of the supply market dynamics and changes to ensure competitiveness and supply risks are mitigated
- Manage 2-5 direct reports
- Bachelors Degree in Business, Economics, Engineering, Procurement or Supply Chain. MBA or Advanced Degree preferred
- Experience and knowledge of both Operational and Strategic Buying/Category Management
- Ability to persuade and influence suppliers to achieve best outcome for Lonza
- Hands on experience of using SAP ERP and SAP Ariba (strategic Buyer in directs only) in a purchasing/procurement role as well as Microsoft Office
- Purchasing expertise in tendering, negotiation tactics, planning and contracting
- Third party spend management
- Customer Service mindset and ability to manage several priorities simultaneously
- Working knowledge of general business practices
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.