Senior Manager, Business Development - Licensing (East Coast - USA)
United States, Morristown (New Jersey)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is actively seeking a Senior Manager, Business Development to join our Licensing business unit (BU) on the East Coast (USA). This individual will identify opportunities to grow Lonza’s Pharma/Bio Licensing revenue in North American (East Coast), based on deep market understanding and customer insights, and ensures sales, marketing and communication strategies deliver defined goals to seed the innovator market with Lonza technologies, and achieve defined territory Business Development targets (deals, revenue etc.). Furthermore, this individual will help secure long-term sustainability of the BU by ensuring that the innovation strategy creates compelling value propositions to address important future needs of target customer/market.
- Drive adoption of Lonza Pharma Biotech (LPB) technologies by pharma/biotech innovators mainly via out-licensing agreements. Achieve North America (East Coast) Business Development goals, typically expressed as numbers of specific deal types and revenue target.
- Collaborate with Marketing, Account Managers, and other BUs to design and implement marketing, business development and communication strategies and to deliver them.
- Drive achievements through North America (East Coast) focused marketing campaigns, which would typically include: attending relevant conferences, roadshows, digital programs and increased presence and share of voice.
- Provide feedback from customers to ensure we evaluate ways to continuously improve our licensing product offerings.
- Contribute to strategic planning activities to maximize Licensing goals in North America (East Coast).
- Work with relevant Lonza colleagues, and assess relevant market research, to establish a thorough understanding of the innovator ecosystem in North America (East Coast), in order to define the Licensing market opportunity, customer perspectives and competitor analysis.
- Deliver actionable insights to inform product offerings, business models and marketing, business development and communication strategies for North America (East Coast) territories.
- Collaborate internally to assess in-licensing opportunities to expand the Licensing offering with additional/expanded value propositions relevant to North America (East Coast) customer needs.
- Ensure protection of Lonza Intellectual Property (IP): With appropriate colleagues, establish and ensure compliance with policies for what is shared with customers and how, raise internal awareness of the value of IP.
- Must currently live on the East Coast (ideally in NY, NJ, PA, MA)
- Experience of working in a large multi-cultural organization
- Significant contact network within innovative Pharma/Biotech industry in North America.
- Proven Pharma direct sales experience
- Have a “hunter” mentality
- Work experience within one or more key players in the innovation ecosystem
- Basic understanding/experience with biologics manufacturing along with basic fundamental scientific background to understand the principles of bioprocess technology and bio therapeutics (i.e. antibodies, proteins, DNA, gene therapies, cell therapies).
- Basic understanding of Intellectual Property, in general, and as it applies to North America.
- Solid understanding of the pharma/biotech innovation ecosystem, including the interrelationships between academia, incubators, venture capitalists, start-ups and established pharma and biotech companies.
- Basic understanding and awareness of pharma/biotech regulation in North America
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.