Process Development Laboratory Operations Manager
United States, Houston (Texas)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Responsible for supporting the organization and control of Cell and Gene Therapy Development laboratory functions, including supplies management, equipment oversight, training compliance, Operational Excellence (OE) champion, Lean labs and resource planning, 6S implementation and maintenance, tracking of Key Performance Indicator (KPI) metrics, maintaining data integrity system, and technical support in times of peak demand (analytical or process). In addition, this position will strive to enable and support a philosophy of compliance with safety, error prevention systems (EPS), OE and quality in the process development (PD) and bioassay services . The Operations Manager will encourage an environment where all members are in sync with our customer needs, agile in our mindset and able to provide ingenuity in our response to deliver efficient and effective operations.
- General Lab Maintenance – Optimizes and formalizes lab materials and reagents usage policy. Creates a system for lab supply inventory management, safety stocks, reorder points, procurement and purchasing, and shipping activities. Maintains project and department reagents and materials inventories to facilitate operations.
- Houston Growth – Drives initiatives set from global directives, included but not limited to: initiating and supporting of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) generation; maintaining data integrity system in development labs; development of standardized processes, quality standards, materials, etc.; supports onboarding and training for new-hires (equipment, software, tools, processes).
- Lab Equipment Management - Maintains up to date laboratory equipment inventory. Executes or plans with Facilities & Engineering to manage preventive maintenance, calibration, compliance activities, and cleaning schedules. Ensures equipment maintenance documentation is captured including relevant equipment logbooks.
- Lean Labs and Operational Excellence champion – Supports the development and achievement of department OE metrics through proper tracking, management tools and regular meetings. Supports continuous improvement initiatives of the site through LEAN Six Sigma activities. Performs safety risk assessments for Process Development/Research & Development (PD/R&D) processes as required for compliance. Serves as a lead representative and interface for Safety and Quality Assurance (QA) Inspections. Maintains data integrity of the departments.
- Provides technical support to laboratory operators in cell culture, analytical support, assay development assistance, data analysis, root cause analyses, laboratory investigations as needed. Supports technical leads in new equipment sourcing, evaluation and demonstration.
- Bachelor’s degree; Preferred area of study: Life Sciences or other related discipline; MSc degree in life science or related discipline
- Advanced Years relevant lab management or supervisory experiences.
- Laboratory operations, facility maintenance, cGMP, GLP
- Strong technical communication skills. Demonstrated proficiency in technical writing of procedures and work instructions, cell culture experience, visual presentation, document control, etc. Superior interpersonal communication skills, ability to handle multiple and concurrent tasks and projects and meeting of deadlines. Influences peers without direct reporting structure.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.