Scientist II, Research & Development
United States, Bend (Oregon)
Lonza Pharma & Biotech has an open position for a Scientist II to join the Biomanufacturing R&D team at our location in Bend, OR. This is an excellent opportunity to join a challenging, dynamic, and cross-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers who focus on improving the manufacturing of biologics medicines.
As a Scientist II, you will be responsible for working with a cross-disciplinary team to innovate and deliver solutions to biomanufacturing challenges across the industry. You will routinely conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data, and communicate and present results to Lonza research and development teams. You will apply strong biology and chemistry fundamentals to a hypothesis-driven environment to guide the development and tech transfer of new technologies across the Lonza organization.
You will be responsible for executing experiments, conducting analytical measurements, improving existing methods, interpreting and communicating results, as well as contributing to basic biologics laboratory management.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Executing analytical techniques and benchtop chemistry, biochemistry, and biology experiments
- Applying fundamental knowledge of biology, analytical biochemistry and/or chemistry fundamentals including: protein chemistry, cell metabolism, cell biology, spectroscopy, and chromatography
- Proficiency to safely operate and learn a range of analytical techniques and demonstrate proficiency for achieving quality results
- Use existing technical literature to improve and develop new analytical techniques and technologies
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook to detail execution and results of experiments
- Evaluate instruments, equipment, processes, and systems to improve safety, quality, and performance
- Communicate technical information to internal teams and/or clients in the form of oral and written correspondence, presentations, and reports
- Prepare written documents such as technical memos, reports, and technology transfer documentation
- Lead in the execution of basic lab functions, and suggest and implement operational improvements of laboratory practices
- B.S. in chemistry, biology, or biochemistry with molecular biology or analytical chemistry lab experience. Other science and engineering degrees with fundamental course work in chemistry, biology, and biochemistry may be considered
- Strong fundamentals in analytical biochemistry, chemistry, and biology
- Working knowledge with running, analyzing and interpreting common analytical methods used in biological applications, including HPLC (High-performance Liquid Chromatography) based methods, plate assays, and gel electrophoresis is desirable. Knowledge/experience in mass spectrometry, Raman spectroscopy, flow cytometry and/or NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) is a bonus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A strong drive to learn and contribute outside of your educational specialty
- Previous experience in a laboratory setting is required
- A bias towards collaboration
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.