MSAT Engineer, Packaging
United States, Walkersville (Maryland)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The mission of Lonza Bioscience is to be the leader for advanced cell culture and testing solutions for applied bioresearch, drug discovery and bio-manufacturing. We work with passion, using advanced technologies, to transform life science into new possibilities. The Manufacturing Science and Technology Group (MSAT) at Walkersville, MD supports this vision by coordinating New Product Introductions (NPI) and leading continuous process improvements. This role will provide technical expertise in areas of single use systems and primary packaging design.
- Function as a technical expert on the primary packaging design including selection of packaging material, components and systems
- Expertise in packaging technology (e.g. vials, bottles, flexible bags, aseptic form/fill/seal, sterilization, labels) and single use technology.
- Identify opportunities to improve primary packaging designs to meet customer needs, functional parameters, and cost targets
- Define, plan, and provide technical input on process validation, stability studies, product interactions, and shipping studies related to primary packaging
- Set quality attributes and evaluation procedures for primary packaging components in collaboration with QA, SCO and other stakeholders
- Drive continuous improvement and innovation efforts towards optimization and lean principles while complying with GMP guidelines
- Design testing methodologies and test standards related to design control, documentation, risk management and processes following applicable Regulatory guidelines.
- Execute various duties to support MSAT and key stakeholders on tech-transfer, change requests, deviations, investigations, CAPA’s, and operational improvement programs
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, writing, and time management skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering, Material Science or related discipline; Master’s Degree preferred
- Significant experience working with Single Use Systems and Primary Packaging
- Significant GMP Manufacturing experience
- Statistical Analysis for process monitoring such as Control Charts, Process Capabilities (CpK)
- Proven experience with aseptic processing including sterile filtration, filter validation, filling
- Reads and understands Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Critical thinking ability
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.