Head of Viral Vector
United States, Houston (Texas)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Head of Viral Vector is responsible to direct the production of therapeutic proteins (API) under cGMP conditions overseeing our Houston site, managing safety, quality, compliance and efficient product delivery and financial execution. This position will lead a dedicated management team with full accountability for asset profitability and success and have clear accountability for performance improvements and delivery. In addition, this role has direct responsibility for the operations team via a matrix organization for functions providing support to execution including Engineering, Facilities, Environment Health and Safety (EHS), Project Management (PM), Quality Assurance (QA), Manufacturing Sciences and Technology (MSAT), Quality Control (QC), and PPL.
Serving as an integral member of the Site Leadership Team (SLT), the incumbent will be responsible for leading the execution of the management team, business partner and functional management teams. Incumbent will be responsible for partnering with customers in delivering a safe and compliant operation both internally and externally. Drive continuous improvement activities, strategy development and delivery, as well as supporting organizational development and cultural leadership.
- Single point of accountability with authority to execute activities and management resources necessary for production plan achievement. Lead the department, managing safety, quality, compliance and efficient, product delivery, batch release, and financial execution.
- Empowered to reach across functional areas and across phases of execution.
- Participate in site strategy decisions as a part of the site leadership team for Houston. As a member of the site leadership team, lead cross-functionally with management, support departments, and customers to achieve site vision and strategy.
- Ensure that the manufacturing facility is in a continuous state of readiness for production and Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) audits.
- Supervise, train and mentor the manufacturing management team. Create a high-performance team that emphasizes strengths-based execution, accountability, open communication, people development and continuous improvement. Focus on people development, identification and development of successors and high potentials.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences or Biomedical/Chemical Engineering. Masters of Science or Engineering or PhD highly preferred.
- Extensive biotech industry experience in process development, process scale up/manufacturing and process validation.
- Experience with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and manufacturing support in Viral Vector.
- Partner with Quality Assurance to develop, modify, implement and operate quality systems aligned with Lonza standards.
- Responsible for attracting and retaining skilled talent; training and encouraging a team-centric environment that improves business performance.
- Drive continuous improvement activities, strategy development and delivery, as well as supporting organizational development and cultural leadership.
- Effectively presents information and ideas formally and informally, verbally and in writing to others in a manner that facilitates understanding.
- Able to concisely communicate status, needs, forecasts, risks and timelines effectively to senior management
- Displays a clear willingness to listen to others. Has good interpersonal skills and works collaboratively in an effective manner to achieve objectives.
- Practices safety awareness at all times and considers impact of actions prior to executing activities.
- The capacity to inspire and motivate a large team in the achievement of specific objectives
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.