Environmental, Health, Safety & Security (EHS&S) Manager
United States, Williamsport (Pennsylvania)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI) has an exciting opportunity for an Environmental, Health, Safety & Security (EHS&S) Manager that supports the Williamsport, PA facility. The EHS&S will be is a member of the Site Leadership Team and responsible for the day to day management of the site’s EHS&S programs and personnel for a chemical manufacturing plant. We are looking for candidates who have extensive experience in EHS, Process Safety Management (PSM) and leadership backgrounds.
- Positively influence and collaborate with colleagues in order to embed a self-sustaining EHSS culture; sponsor and actively support the evolution of the site’s behavioral risk program.
- Coordinate the Williamsport EHSS team and wider site efforts to ensure compliance across the full range of EHSS aspects including: environmental licenses; relevant health and safety regulations; facility security requirements; process safety; chemical and biological safety (including Industrial Hygiene monitoring); occupational health.
- Ensure the EHSS team has the correct skills set and competencies to manage the risk profile of the site; implement continued professional development plans; facilitate career progression opportunities.
- Implement effective but lean EHSS risk management methodologies for operations and projects at all scales, including but not restricted to new product/ equipment introductions for R&D and commercial.
- Prepare budgets and forecasts; ensure financial discipline; drive efficiencies and identify/ implement opportunities for cost reduction.
- Manage, monitor, lead, and participate in investigations and root cause analysis of workplace accidents and incidents, evaluating trends, and focusing on key improvements required to eliminate the same.
- Oversee the site’s emergency and crisis management plans; ensure related plans are optimized and effective; take a key role in development of site’s business continuity plans
- Ensure appropriate applications, permits, data reports, records, and documentation are collected, prepared, submitted and maintained as required by governing agencies.
- Provide leadership for the oversight and delivery of Process Safety Management (PSM) strategy, performance and compliance
- Develop, deploy and deliver PSM behavior, safety culture and critical safety leadership strategies and programs.
- Actively advance environmental sustainability efforts including developing strategy, activities, projects and KPIs aimed at achieving the company’s stated environmental sustainability goals.
- Identifies key PSM issues impacting sites (technical, regulatory, risk, land use) and emerging regulatory and other risks potentially affecting company sites
- Conducts regular written and oral communication with regulators, agencies, consultants, senior management and legal counsel
- Develop and support internal communication strategies for key stakeholders that build and maintain awareness of PSM values, strategies, and performance.
- Effectively manage assigned PSM program elements including: Incident Investigation, Process Hazard Assessment, Employee Participation, Program Auditing, and Management of Change
- BS in Engineering, Safety or Environmental discipline required. MS Preferred
- 8+ years’ experience leading a safety program in a chemical, pharmaceutical, PSM regulated industry
- Working knowledge of local, state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to safety and environmental regulations at the Federal, State and Local levels
- Environmental Regulations: Air, Hazardous & Non-hazardous Waste, Stormwater, Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations for Discharge to POTW
- Security Regulations: DHS
- Transport Regulations: DOT
- Safety Regulations: OSHA, PADEP, Industry Best Practice
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.