Manufacturing Supervisor - Upstream
United States, Hayward (California)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Manufacturing Supervisor is responsible to oversee the production of therapeutic proteins (API) under cGMP conditions. Supervisors are expected to plan and prepare for production, schedule tasks, and assign duties to operators to meet the production schedule, assess production records and meet release timelines to deliver quality product to our customers.
- Deliver to Plan: Lead and direct the safety, quality, and daily production operations for suite. Oversee all tasks on the floor as they are carried out and provide assistance and troubleshooting where required. Coordinate with other departments to ensure on time delivery of the production schedule.
- Monitor and coach staff to ensure full compliance with GMP and Quality system requirements. Responsible for overall inspection readiness and compliance with quality requirements. Lead and oversee the on time completion of document review (batch record, logbook, SOPs) for completeness, clarity, accuracy to support on-time release of batches with minimal errors.
- Coach, teach, train and develop employees through 1:1 meetings, performance review and management, and career planning activities. Support recruiting, staffing, hiring, onboarding performance management, promotion and discipline of operators as appropriate. Maintain individual training plan and ensure team remains up to date with training readiness.
- Administrative tasks – leading shift exchange, assigning duties, attending meetings, sending/receiving emails, participating in continuous improvement projects. Demonstrate strong technical writing abilities (deviation initiations, SOP creation, etc.).
- Review documentation (batch records, SOPs, Logbooks) for completeness, clarity, accuracy and submit edits to documents for revision as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- AS/BS in Biotechnology, Biology, Chemistry, or equivalent preferred
- Preferred area of study: Science related discipline
- High School Diploma or Equivalent may be considered with relevant experience 7+ years’ experience in manufacturing; (12+ Years’ experience without AS/BS); GMP setting preferred, previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Proven logic and decision making abilities, critical thinking skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- The employee is living the cultural beliefs with the flexibility to adapt to changing business priorities. Is open to and actively seeks out feedback on their performance and translates that feedback into action.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievement themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.