Business Development Manager CDMO
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
As part of Lonza Specialty Ingredients (LSI), you join the Specialty Chemical Services (SCS) team in Basel.
With its holistic service offering along the whole value chain, SCS Contract Development and Manufacturing Organizations (CDMO) builds on 2 technology platforms – Chemistry in Visp, CH and Biotechnology in Kouřim, CZ. As Business Development Manager CDMO, you are working close together with our external customers on continued extension of the project pipeline and renewal of the product portfolio manufactured in those SCS assets. This involves assessing the current pipeline, filling it with new business opportunities and improving our overall competitive position. To achieve this you will work in close collaboration with both CDMO and Operations teams.
- Continuously monitor and analyze the global biotechnology market and identify new business opportunities including new trends, growth areas, customers, products and services
- Understand the needs of the industry and respective companies, seek out the appropriate contacts in new organizations, generate new leads and cold call prospective customers
- Full project accountability from the first customer contact, via inquiry and contract negotiations, until completion of the commercial manufacturing agreement
- Close cross-functional cooperation during project acquisition and execution with the business unit, R&D, production, sourcing, legal and other departments
- Customer account planning and sales reporting
- Support the business strategy by developing a portfolio of customers and a healthy project pipeline
- Represent SCS at international conferences and trade shows
- Satisfy the needs of your customers with a high level of service and a continuous dialogue
- Strong network and experience in sales and new business development, sound understanding of new markets, growth areas, trends, customers, products and services in the biotechnological and/or chemical industry with focus on various business segments such as food, feed, nutrition, cosmetics, agricultural applications; understanding of red biotechnology is a plus
- Background in industrial application of natural sciences (Biotech or Chemistry) in a CDMO type of company is a must
- Ability to create new customer contact strategies
- Excellent project management skills to support customers from early stage inquiries until commercial manufacturing
- Creative, convincing, proactive in building and maintaining strong and trustful customer relationships
- Act with high sense of urgency, strong in working autonomously and team collaboration skills
- Fluent English, German is a plus
- Willingness for traveling approximately 20%
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.