United States, Rochester (New York)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Maintenance Mechanic supports the Rochester, NY manufacturing plant by maintaining the equipment. Performs preventative and corrective activities to pumps, pipes, tanks, filter presses, centrifuges, etc.
- Responsible for implementing the Lonza philosophy, “The Vision is Zero” in his/her job routine. Works to attain the purpose, “Zero injuries, Zero process incidents, Zero distribution incidents, and Zero environmental incidents”.
- Participates in our “Product Stewardship” initiative to ensure the health, safety and environmental performance of our products throughout the products' life cycle.
- Utilizes CMMS to document and review scheduled work, create notifications as needed and accurately document hours, feedback and any required information.
- Readily works and communicate with operations, contractors, vendors and instrument & electrical maintenance workers to troubleshoot and repair equipment and processes.
- May be required to fabricate parts using machine and hand tools common to the trade and work with a variety of materials in the course of normal work activities including drills, pipe threaders, torque wrenches, mills, etc.
- May handle some hazardous waste material when working on piping and equipment leaks or material disposal during the normal operation of this position.
- May be required to operate a fork truck, work truck, scissor lift, manlift.
- Perform scheduled preventative and corrective maintenance on equipment and facilities in accordance with the company's Maintenance Schedule, SOPs, ISO, Safety, and cGMP standards to assure compliance with PSM and regulatory compliance.
- May plan details of work by determining repair/replacement needs or new material required and develop a logical approach to correcting problems.
- May perform varied mechanical duties such as dismantling, moving, repairing and installing or repairing power shafting, pulleys, pumps, piping, hoists and other facility equipment.
- Starts up and shut down equipment in line with company safety procedures for equipment under power and OSHA requirements. The activities may include replacement in kind or changes to the layout of equipment during a MOC approved alteration, which may require the use of P&IDs, manuals, ISOs or Maintenance/Engineering & safe operating practices.
- Must be able to work overtime as directed by supervision in support of plant needs and perform other related duties which may be assigned including snow removal, roof repair, housekeeping of work area and other duties that may be reasonably assigned in the course of business or as requested by supervisor or management.
- Maintain a working understanding of plant production processes, equipment, systems, and facilities in order to perform maintenance effectively, under general direction.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, climb or balance on elevated work surfaces, platforms and ladders.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds with assistance.
- Employee will be required to qualify for and maintain the clearance to wear a respirator (fit-test ready) and follow OSHA mandated guidelines.
- Obtain Boiler certificate within 1 year.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.