Utilities HVAC Operation Engineer
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Utilities HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) Operations Engineer role supports Lonza operations by ensuring that equipment and facilities are designed and operating to meet the requirements for biopharmaceutical manufacturing. Projects vary in size and scope with an emphasis on operation and optimization of Utilities and HVAC systems or modifications to existing equipment and facilities. Projects can target any one of the following business needs including: Process Improvement Projects, Increase in plant throughput, Technical Transfer of new customer processes, Regulatory inspection driven projects, Environmental, Health and Safety initiatives, replacements for obsolete equipment, energy efficiency and sustainability projects.
- Develop technical knowledge on Utilities and HVAC equipment and processes
- Manage resolution of major equipment breakdowns and quality issues in the suites
- Provide SME support to Utilities and other departments for the design and operation of Utilities and HVAC equipment
- Conduct troubleshooting and technical analyses on Utilities and HVAC equipment and processes including PI data analyses, System capacity analyses, MOC analyses, flow path analyses, etc.
- Assist with tech transfer of new processes into the facility
- Modify/develop preventative maintenance plans and create spare parts
- Complete change request lot assessments to support lot release
- Participates in IPT/JPT meetings and customer ad hoc meetings as engineering subject matter expect
- Represents group at Engineering DMS meetings
- Participates in audits and inspections as engineering SME
- Scopes and prioritizes capital project (lump sum and CAR) involving complex equipment changes and process improvements
- Execute commissioning protocols (installation, operation)
- Own change requests and complete change request tasks to support project completion
- BS in Engineering Discipline
- Preferred areas of study: Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
- Substantial experience within a pharma/biotech industry (or equivalent)
- PMP certification preferred
- Experience in the design and operation of Biopharmaceutical facilities, both manufacturing and support systems.
- Experience with control systems (PLC, DCS, Loop controllers) desirable.
- Project management and coordination experience associated with the execution of capital projects in an industrial environment in required.
- Practical experience in the management and coordination of engineering and construction management consultants, equipment vendors and contractors is required.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite with focus on Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Project.
- Proficiency with OSI PI is preferred.
- Developed communication skills and ability to influence others.
- Project Management skills including budgeting, scheduling and ensuring compliance with quality and safety standards
- Strong skills in problem solving, decision making and attention to detail.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if it is not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.