United States, Conley (Georgia)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Provide day to day leadership, coaching, feedback and guidance to drivers, traffic team and contractors. Through exemplary customer service ensure the drivers and contractors within the network are active, safe and profitable. Transportation Manager will develop, implement and monitor key performance indicators to develop strategic efficiencies and processes among the fleet and traffic department.
- Plan, organize, and manage the work of subordinate staff to ensure that the work is accomplished in a manner consistent with organizational requirements
- Direct central load control centers to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of transportation services
- Direct staff performing repairs and maintenance to equipment
- Serve as contact person for all workers within assigned staff
- Monitor operations to ensure that staff members comply with administrative policies and procedures, safety rules, union contracts, environmental policies and government regulations
- Develop action plan in challenging situations; take ownership and escalate issues when needed
- Promote safe work activities by conducting safety audits, attending and reporting at company safety meetings, or meeting with individual staff members
- Develop and maintain KPI to report to Upper Management on a monthly basis
- Assist with implicating and managing freight management software
- Set budgets and monitor spending to ensure that expenses are consistent with approved budgets
- Negotiate any lease and pricing on equipment and venders
- Oversee and approve all invoices that pertain to the traffic department
- Direct and coordinate the activities of operations department to obtain use of equipment, facilities and human resources
- Monitor and maintain driver DOT files, physicals, driver license, drug screens, etc.
- Manage staff and driver schedules, vacations and time off
- Monitor and approve staff and drivers hours and payroll
- Manage Performance Management cycle for Transportation Department
- Be able to fill in when short staffed for vacation, illness etc.
- Maintain truck and trailer permits, tag and licenses to follow all federal, state, and county regulations
- Investigate and follow up with any insurance claims for accidents
- Conduct employee training sessions on subjects such as hazardous material handling, employee orientation, quality improvement and computer use etc
- Perform other duties as assigned and necessary to operate Transportation Department.
- High School Diploma or GED required. BA Degree preferred
- 8-10 years of fleet management experience
- Ability to think strategically and analytically.
- Knowledge of transportation, DOT logs, Equipment, Hazmat, freight management software required
- Software usage (Intermediate to advanced experience: SAP, MS Word, Excel, Outlook, etc….)
- Organization and time management skills
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.