Senior Scientist - Pilot Team - MSAT (Manufacturing, Science & Technology)
United Kingdom, Slough
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are currently looking to recruit a Senior Scientist to join our Manufacturing, Science, and Technology (MSAT) Pilot team. This role will be part of a dedicated pilot batch execution team, to support the execution of the technical transfer of new or existing processes downstream (DSP) into the pilot plant.
As a Senior Scientist, you will be responsible for planning all batch execution logistics with technical hands on support for downstream (DSP) operations. You will work with external customers as well as other cross functional teams to provide assurance of suitability to scale to cGMP manufacturing.
This role will give you the opportunity to develop hands on experience within biotech processes in a highly team focused, fast paced environment and would be suitable for candidates who thrive in a fast paced situation.
Please note: that this role will require 70% hands on laboratory work, and 30% desk based practical planning duties.
- Responsibility for the preparation of associated process descriptions, batch records for pilot batch execution, include ordering raw materials for downstream (DSP) operations working closely in communication with process development, R&T and New Product Introduction scientists within the MSAT team.
- With developed training and proficiency, understand prioritize and contributes to the work of the team daily tasks in set-up, operating plant equipment and associated process analytical technologies without direct supervision
- Ensuring relevant transfer documentation is written and followed such that projects meet the required deadlines/customer outcomes.
- Establish relationships with Process Development and R&T scientific peers to effectively challenge and participate outcomes in project discussions/meetings
- Will use existing knowledge to resolve routine process issues and suggest improvements. Be proficient in structured data analysis identifying trends and offering solutions with the NPI scientists for batch data for preparation of process summary reports for the customer.
- Working independently will write and implement department EHS protocols, leads completion of continuous improvement activities to reduce costs, increase yield and productivity
- Working with the team, leads the completion of continuous improvement activities reducing costs, and increase yield and productivity
- BSc/BEng degree in a Scientific field or equivalent means of demonstrating ability with some experience in industry or a relevant academic environment
- Good understanding of procedures and concepts within downstream (DSP) operations, working in an aseptic environment preferably within manufacturing/biotech industry
- Experience with column chromatography, and filtration techniques used for technical operations within biotech industry
- Knowledge of working with technical transfer processes within a manufacturing environment or experience working within a pilot laboratory preferred
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to contribute within the team, proficiency in structured data analysis, report writing, protocols and SOP’s leads routine task completion
- Good attention to detail, proven problem solver, interpersonal qualities, self-motivated and positive with a demonstration to execute work without supervision in downstream area
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.