Senior Principal Scientist - Process Development - Upstream
United Kingdom, Slough
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are currently looking for an experienced individual, with extensive experience of upsteam cell culture development and manufacture, to join an established Process Development Sciences team at Lonza, on site in Slough.
In this role, you will be working as a Member of Process Development Sciences (PDS) – A focused group of senior subject matter experts (SMEs), with extensive experience in upstream and downstream science and in product characteristics, who provide scientific and technical solutions that support process development and MSAT teams throughout the global Lonza biomanufacturing network. PDS provides governance of the development process, troubleshooting consultancy and collaborating on assessment and introduction of innovative new technologies. As foremost expert in your field, you will be comfortable providing recommendations and guidance to customers, senior management and functional project teams.
This support is provided to all Lonza project teams and the customer themselves, across all sites in the Lonza mammalian network. To be successful in this role, you must have a broad width of experience in upstream cell culture development and manufacturing, be passionate about the science that underlies complex technical challenges, and effective at sharing knowledge that supports the development of talented scientists.
- Providing strong scientific support of processes for the development and manufacture of therapeutic proteins by mammalian cell culture. Have in depth knowledge across a range of USP. This may include, for example: pre-clinical and clinical process development, process transfer into cGMP, upstream processes, leading RCAs; leading risk assessments; DoE; multivariate analysis; FMEA; supporting regulatory inspections and interactions
- Leading multi-disciplinary matrix teams to resolve issues (technical, scientific, IP, for example) through a structured data driven approach, such as Root Cause Analysis, which affect, or have the potential to affect, development and execution of mammalian cell culture processes for the manufacture of therapeutic proteins, within the Lonza network.
- Provide governance oversight of the process from gene to IND and process characterisation to BLA.
- Ensuring investigations deliver robust, documented reports to agreed timelines
- Coaching and mentoring scientists in Process Development
- Working with R&D and operations groups to ensure that innovative approaches or new technologies under development have a valuable beneficial impact to Lonza operations
- Through knowledge of best practice, propose and lead the implementation of new processes that enhance the capability and effectiveness of Lonza operations.
- Ensure a high standard of science and quality of work is maintained for customer and in-house projects
- Recognise and disseminate information about emerging trends (scientific, technical, IP, etc) that impact Lonza’s ability to deliver its customers‘ projects or win business in both short and long terms
- Able to communicate effectively including presentation to customers, peers, internal stakeholders and at conferences
- PhD or BSc + additional years’ experience in a relevant scientific discipline.
- Strong previous experience in upstream bioprocessing working within an industrial environment.
- Has the ability to recognise and disseminate information about emerging trends (scientific, technical, IP, etc) that impact Lonza’s ability to deliver its customers‘ projects or win business in both short and long terms.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.