United States, Rochester (New York)
Lonza is an integrated solutions provider that creates value along the Healthcare Continuum®. Through our Lonza Pharma Biotech & Nutrition segment and our Lonza Specialty Ingredients segment businesses, we harness science and technology to serve markets along this continuum. We focus on creating a healthy environment, promoting a healthier lifestyle and preventing illness through consumers' preventive healthcare, as well as improving patient healthcare by supporting our customers to deliver innovative medicines that help treat or even cure severe diseases.
Patients and consumers benefit from our ability to transfer our pharma know-how to the healthcare, hygiene and fast-moving consumer goods environment and to the preservation and protection of the world where we live.
Founded in 1897 in the Swiss Alps, Lonza today is a well-respected global company with more than 100 sites and offices and approximately 15,500 full-time employees worldwide at the end of 2018. The company generated sales of CHF 5.5 billion in 2018 with a CORE EBITDA of CHF 1.5 billion. Further information can be found at www.lonza.com.
Great opportunity for a EHS Manager! Lonza Rochester produces biocides and personal care ingredients for the hygiene, preservation and personal care markets. This site was acquired from Arch Chemicals and is the oldest continuing manufacturing facility in Rochester, NY. Lonza offers a highly competitive salary, excellent benefits and a 401K.
Manage the safety, security and environmental functions of the Rochester plant. Develop and carryout procedures that effectively control accident, environmental health and security exposures in the Company in line with OSHA, EPA, DEC, DHS and Regulatory compliance. Focus on the “Vision of Zero” as it relates to injuries and environmental incidents. Also, lead efforts to improve cost reduction and process effectiveness in the areas of safety and environment. Lead, direct and train plant supervision and employees to comply with all applicable laws. This individual will adhere to all Company ethical standards and lead by example for ethical compliance. Will be an active member of the Plant Leadership Team.
- Responsible for coordinating and assisting with the administration of Lonza Rochester “Vision of Zero” which includes the plant behavioral based safety process (F.O.C.U.S.). The purpose is to have Zero injuries, Zero process incidents, Zero distribution incidents, Zero Security incidents, Zero environmental incidents and Zero ethical issues. Will ensure that all concerns raised by the “Vision of Zero” board are addressed appropriately.
- Supports the “Product Stewardship” initiative to ensure the health, safety and environmental performance of our products throughout the products’ life cycles.
- Coordinates and assist in plant “Chem Stewards” initiative to ensure the plant maintains practice in place in all Chem Stewards codes.
- Must acquire a working knowledge of current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) and Good Document Practices (GDP).
- Must be an active F.O.C.U.S. observer/participant, lead and encourage team to perform observations. Will champion and lead this effort throughout the plant to encourage and drive participation by all employees.
- Manages the Rochester Plant EHS programs to enforce regulations and to provide assistance to the plant in reducing risks and accidents. Will prioritize concerns and justify capital or expense that needs to be spent to reduce Lonza’s liability. Also an active member of the site PSM team.
- Leads the implementation of environmental policies and practices and waste reduction activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors’ Degree
- Preferred area of study: Engineering, Environmental Science, safety management or related field.
- 10+ years’ experience specifically in Safety/Environmental in a manufacturing setting.
- Must have regulatory audit experience.
- An understanding of OSHA, EPA, DHS and DEC requirements, National and NYS Environmental Regulatory requirements, RCMS, employment management and development required (currently Chem Stewards through SOCMA).
- Must have excellent communication skills – verbal, written and presentation.
- Must have ability to influence the organization to accomplish environmental, safety and health objectives and a demonstrated commitment to a participative work environment. Must have or be willing to gain a working knowledge of cGMP in an FDA-regulated environment. Must be willing to spend significant time in the plant working environment to get feedback and make continuous improvements.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.