Senior Scientist - Data Science - Structural Bioinformatics
United Kingdom, Cambridge
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled Senior Scientist with experience in software engineering, biostatistical analysis and data modeling to join Lonza's Applied Protein Services (APS) Bioinformatics team based in Cambridge, UK.
- The successful candidate will ensure the maintenance of multiple proprietary platforms.
- Lead the statistical analysis of different types of biological, structural and molecular data.
- Generate machine-learning models based on structural and chemical protein descriptors.
- Develop innovative technologies to optimize proteins for the manufacturing processes and support biotherapeutics / vaccines R&D.
- PhD in Bioinformatics / Biostatistics / Mathematics / Physics / Computer Science or similar field ideally with experience of applied informatics in a pharmaceutical setting.
- Strong skills in programming languages (knowledge of Python and Perl is essential; R and Matlab is an advantage).
- Strong knowledge of statistical principles
- Expertise in machine learning using unsupervised and supervised methods.
- Expertise in database management (SQL).
- Expertise in version control (SVN)
- Experience with protein structures is an advantage.
- Advanced analytical and critical problem-solving skills, combined with scientific creativity.
- Interest in continuous improvements of processes by integrating innovative solutions.
- Ability to work in a team, as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Fluency in written and oral English, and strong, written, oral communication skills.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.