United States, Conley (Georgia)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The purpose of the Maintenance and Engineering Manager position is to effectively manage the maintenance of existing plant assets plus the design and installation of new plant assets at the Lonza Conley facility. The key deliverables are timely and cost effective maintenance of plant facilities, industrial equipment, and machinery along with management of capital funds, technical resources, and skilled craft people. Value creation comes from application of sound engineering principles, adherence to regulatory policies, and the use of up-to-date information to effectively and efficiently manage the available technical, capital, and human resources.
- Oversee development of the annual plant maintenance and engineering budget. Prepare monthly current estimates of maintenance and engineering cost. Provide leadership that ensures that the site’s physical assets and equipment are effectively maintained within budgeted limits to consistently and timely meeting customer volume and quality requirements.
- Manage plant capital budget – Oversee development of annual plant capital plan and prepare monthly current estimate of capital spending. Assure that the investments being made in new plant assets are truly required and are based on good economics.
- Manage the human resources within the Maintenance and Engineering department. The Maintenance and Engineering Manager must oversee the salary administration, performance evaluation, and career development of the salaried, nonexempt, and hourly workforce. This includes: communication with direct reports; meetings with maintenance and engineering staff; involvement in performance and disciplinary actions; oversight of maintenance apprenticeship programs; and development of long-term human resource replacement and succession plans.
- Oversee the design and installation of new plant assets. Assure that design and construction of these assets are being conducted according to current standards, state and federal law, and accepted industry practice. Insure that the new installations will be safe, reliable, and accomplish their intended purpose. Code and address past due aging reports for distribution center and freight invoices
- Oversee operation of plant MRO warehouse. Assure that the inventory of spare parts is sufficient to maintain the reliability of plant assets, while minimizing the working capital tied up by holding these spares.
- Develop and track Key Performance Indicators for Maintenance and Engineering. Develop and implement plans. Based on these indicators, they will move the department in a positive direction for continuous improvement.
- Act as organizational back up to Plant Manager in his absence from the Conley facility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- 5-10 years experience Maintenance/Engineering manager role.
- Experience working on cost effective development and execution of multiple capital projects
- ISO Certification a plus; Knowledge of maintenance of ISO 9001 certifications for the businesses by complying with processes, procedures and instructions for all activities in which this role participates required
- Knowledge of overall business processes, understanding of corporate capital vs. expense guidelines
- Knowledge of MRO inventory management techniques, knowledge of OSHA laws which pertain to both the Process and Construction industry
- Deep understanding of all pertinent safety policies, rules and regulations.
- Computer proficiency (SAP, Word, Excel, MS Project, PowerPoint)
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.