Control Systems Engineer
United States, Greenwood (South Carolina)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Responsible for development, support, configuration, replication, modifications of integrated automation systems which can utilize subsets, or all of the following platforms: Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, drives and servo systems, Open Platform Communication (OPC) software, process historians, and Distributed Control Systems (DCS). Utilizes Lonza global standard software development life cycle methodology; Creates test plans necessary to verify software fitness for use; Carries out commissioning and supports validation of control systems; Develops accurate time estimates for control software development tasks; Participates in team-based continuous improvement initiatives.
- Designs control systems, or designs modifications to existing control systems based on process diagrams, user requirements, functional requirements, Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), machine mechanical drawings.
- Collaborates effectively with global controls engineering team on development projects, standards development, selection and implementation of new technologies and automation systems.
- Supports, configures and replicates (including new releases and patching) PLC systems, SCADA, drive configuration, servo systems, and vision systems.
- Maintains software and hardware global configuration information, technical documentation, software backups, control software revision notes, knowledge base data records, generates FS (Functional Specification)/DS (Design Specification) documentation and supports cGMP validation process.
- Regularly communicates with Control Systems Manager on project progress and potential issues.
- Based on a rotating schedule provides after-hours support for plant operations. Effectively collaborates with plant personnel, provides technical guidance to electronics.
- Bachelors of Science in EE / Mechatronics / Computer Science / ME / Robotics all with emphasis on automation
- Must also be able to manage expectations of clients through effective communication of project status, obstacles and opportunities.
- Knowledge of electrical circuit theory and control circuit design concepts.
- Must be able to interpret control electrical wiring diagrams, P&ID diagrams and mechanical assembly drawings.
- Must be able to troubleshoot control electrical wiring while maintaining personal safety and safety of others.
- Intermediate software engineering competencies including knowledge of software develop life cycle and common deliverable such as system requirements. Must be able to develop and execute robust test plans to verify software quality and fitness for use.
- Intermediate knowledge of project management processes necessary to develop accurate estimates of work required for the completion of software-related projects.
- Must have programming skills, proficiency with Siemens programming environment is desired
- Must have a basic understanding of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system functionality
- Must have basic understanding of drives and servo system.
- Working knowledge of PC’s and standard software such as Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Project and the Microsoft Windows Operating System
Everyday, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievement themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all of not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.