Cell Culture Development Manager
Tuas Singapore, Singapore
You are applying into Lonza's talent pool.
Lonza is planning to add some sparks at our Tuas site in Singapore! To further strengthen our Development Services team, we are pipelining a pool of candidates for Cell Culture Development Manager role. You will lead the Cell Culture Development team within Development Services in Lonza Singapore. The Development Services group are responsible for the development and characterization manufacturing processes used for the production of novel therapeutic recombinant proteins for Lonza’s global client base. The purpose of this role is to lead the team responsible for cell line and process development alongside process characterization and technology transfer activities. The team are also expected to provide sound scientific expertise to support troubleshooting activities at both laboratory and manufacturing scale.
- Lead a team of up to 20 FTEs and have a demonstrated track record and genuine interest in developing high performing individuals and teams.
- Responsible for the delivery of activities on multiple parallel commercial cell line and process development (IND) and late stage validation (BLA) projects.
- To ensure that sufficient resources (people/skill sets/equipment) are available to deliver projects to agreed timelines and budgets.
- Collaborate with other departments locally and in Lonza’s global network to ensure consistency in technical approach.
- As a member of the department leadership team, represent the whole of Development Services during Customer visits and any other associated activities supporting the Sales process.
- Coach, mentor and train direct and indirect reports in the necessary scientific critique, technical skills, knowledge and capability to achieve the department’s objectives and establish robust succession plans.
- Maintain sufficient technical / regulatory / business knowledge to represent Lonza internally on Customer project teams and externally at conferences.
- Foster a culture where all employees can reach their maximum potential, communicate openly, work to the highest levels of scientific quality and integrity and function in a safe, orderly and enjoyable environment.
- Demonstrate flexibility to support other activities within the team / department.
- Hands-on laboratory work may also be required as necessary.
- Mammalian cell culture processes include: Cell Line Development (routine cell culture, FACS, automation platforms); Process Development (ambr15 miniturised bioreactors, 10L laboratory scale bioreactors); Process Characterisation (ambr250 miniturised bioreactors, 10L laboratory scale bioreactors).
- The role will involve weekend work on a rota based system.
- Degree/PhD in a relevant Science field or Equivalent with significant years of relevant industrial experience
- Deep knowledge and understanding in one or more areas of mammalian upstream process development (cell line development, process development, technology transfer, or process characterization)
- Demonstrated experience in managing people, projects and resources and in the development of high performing individuals and teams.
- Proven track-record operating in a commercial environment enabling teams to achieve against their objectives.
- Able to handle complexity and ambiguity in highly pressured environments.
- Experience working within a formal Quality Management System (such as cGMP).
- Experience working in a matrix organization and on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Able to work collaboratively with peers to achieve objectives.
- Broad market, technical and regulatory knowledge.
- Understanding of cGMP regulations.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.