Instrumentation/Electrical and Controls Engineer
United States, Rochester (New York)
Lonza is one of the world’s leading and most-trusted suppliers to the pharmaceutical, biotech and specialty ingredients markets. As an integrated solutions provider, Lonza is boosting its value creation along and beyond the healthcare continuum with a strong focus on patient healthcare, consumer preventive healthcare and consumer's healthy environment.
Great opportunity for Instrumentation, Electrical and Controls Engineer! We are looking for applicants with a passion for Controls Engineering and a proven track record of installation, maintenance and design in a manufacturing arena to achieve high levels of delivery.
Lonza Rochester produces biocides and personal care ingredients for the hygiene, preservation and personal care markets. This site was acquired from Arch Chemicals and is the oldest continuing manufacturing facility in Rochester, NY. Lonza offers a highly competitive salary, excellent benefits and a 401K.
Provide technical support and leadership to the plant site to ensure proper installation, maintenance, design, and consistency of instrumentation, controls, and electrical power distribution. Provide support for regulatory compliance and utility systems including boiler operations, refrigeration, air compressors and high voltage transformers.
- Provides electrical (power distribution) and process control (instrumentation) engineering troubleshooting, optimization, and reliability skills to the plant site.
- Participates in process hazard analyses in associated discipline to ensure health, safety and environmental soundness of our operations.
- Responsible for manufacturing support including process troubleshooting, optimization and cost reduction based on strong technical and economic understanding of the electrical, process control systems and chemical processes.
- Must be capable of sustaining electrical and instrumentation operability.
- Develops electrical and control instrumentation specifications.
- Plans and executes engineering and development projects (CAR’s and studies).
- Supports other engineering projects using I/E expertise and experience.
- Assists in evaluation of process changes with respect to management of change as well as maintenance and capital projects.
- Participates in the MI program, procedures, implementation and reviews.
- Develops an understanding and participation in all phases of plant operations including utilities, unit consumptions, budgeting, maintenance, outages, etc.
- Prepares capital cost estimates and evaluates project economics.
- Prepares capital appropriations requests (CAR) for approval process-capital investment.
- Develops, designs and implements control logic for DCSs, PLCs and other stand-alone controllers
- Develops, designs and implements operator interface software for process controls.
- Implements multiple “small scale” capital projects ranging from $25M to $250M as needed including project schedule, budget, and cost control.
- Follows or assist project construction, operator training and project startups to ensure that design performance specifications are achieved.
- Performs electrical commissioning and construction packages for projects.
- Responsible for supporting and attaining the site goal of the philosophy, “The Goal is Zero”
- Supports our “Product Stewardship” initiative to ensure the health, safety and environmental performance of our products throughout the products’ life cycle.
- Education/Work Experience: AS in Electrical Technology or equivalent and 5 years related experience OR BSEE, BSME, BSChem. Eng. degree or equivalent and five years related experience
- Experience implementing and/or working with DELTAV systems is a plus
- Experience in programmable logic controllers or distribution control systems and operator interface software in a chemical manufacturing or process industry, 15KV and 480V power distribution equipment and process analyzers.
- Must have in-depth knowledge of the National Electric Code and be familiar with hazardous (classified) electrical installations.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.