Operational Buying Manager
United States, Houston (Texas)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza’s Cell and Gene Therapy Facility is the largest in the world and our facility is growing. We are looking for a mid-career professional to grow with us. We have this exciting opportunity in the Procurement group, where you will be responsible for leading a team of Operational Buyers (Direct & Indirect) in supporting ongoing Lonza operations through proactively managing the performance of Direct (raw material) and indirect suppliers, to ensure business requirements are met, business continuity is guaranteed, and risks mitigated.
- Ensure business continuity for the sites in scope of the cluster
- Drive a vendor performance improve plan (OTIF, Conformance to Quality etc…)
- Drive standardization of operational buyers’ responsibilities in each site
- Ensure Operational buying teams are operating based on standard processes and operate in a compliant manner
- Drive standardization of input received by operational buyers in each site
- Manage the performance of the operational buying team (directs and indirect Operational Buyers)
- Support operational buying automation effort
- Effectively collaborate with internal stakeholders and third party suppliers
- Work closely with planning team leaders & cost center owners to ensure business requirements are met and business continuity is guaranteed and risks mitigated
- Manage escalation of issues & risks with key site leadership teams
- Ensure ad-hoc supplier contracts and price negotiations are managed effectively and drive value for Lonza (CHF 10 – 30 million annual spend)
- Manage the on-going development and succession planning of the team
- Degree minimum in Business, Economics, Engineering, Procurement or Supply Chain
- Experience of Operational procurement within the Pharma/Biotech/Healthcare industry
- Leadership and influencing skills at mid-management level
- Strong experience of line managing teams and coaching staff
- Experience of driving a vendor performance improve plan (OTIF, Conformance to Quality etc…)Extensive experience and knowledge of both Operational Procurement (raw material, Indirects & CAPEX)
- Strong experience in tendering, negotiation tactics, planning and contracting
- Third party spend management
- Hands on experience of using SAP ERP and SAP Ariba in a purchasing/procurement role (or similar systems)
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.