Sr. Account Manager
Morristown, New Jersey
Senior Account Manager
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Incumbent is charged with delivering budgeted revenue, margin, and volume out of a territory significantly larger and more complex than the standard Sales roles in the specialty chemicals industry. Maintains and develops relationships at assigned customers and prospects, many or most of which are deemed globally strategic by the business team. Manages territory in support of business team objectives for accounts, applications, channels, and markets.
- Budget – Deliver the territory’s budgeted revenue, margin, and volume.
- Relationship Management – Maintain and develop relationships at assigned accounts and prospects. Provide superior customer service. Penetrate accounts broadly and deeply. Align customer needs with Lonza’s capabilities in order to yield economically sustainable value growth.
- Strategic Alignment – Enable the business team’s short, medium, and long-term objectives for accounts, applications, channels, and markets within the territory. Collaborate with business leaders to negotiate, drive, and implement pricing strategies. Coordinate as necessary with Sales colleagues with respect to global accounts. In line with business team goals, participate in select marketing activities and promotional programs.
- Market Intelligence – Continuously monitor, analyze, and report on competitive activities, new business opportunities, Regulatory developments, customer perceptions, and market needs. Author, distribute, and log timely, comprehensive call reports for all pertinent customer and market activities.
- Administrative – Maintain accuracy of product/customer forecasts and remedy variances as requested. Submit internal reports as required. Comply with annual budgeting activities. Consistently utilize Salesforce.com in conjunction with business team needs. Fulfill territory obligations in strict observance of travel and entertainment budget.
- Account Planning – Author, maintain, and utilize comprehensive account plans for any / all globally strategic accounts in territory.
- Distribution Management – Implement Distribution strategy within the territory in accordance with directives from business team. Maintain a face-to-face presence at hub and branch locations of all territory distributors. Facilitate regular distributor training sessions. Transmit leads and record feedback so as to drive a robust and productive opportunity pipeline with each distributor in territory. Effectively manage distributor price supports.
- Opportunity Pipeline – Actively manage all territory new business opportunities within Salesforce.com and/or IPM database. As required, report out/up each opportunity’s status. Drive opportunities to closure in collaboration with relevant functions (Marketing, Product Management, Manufacturing, Regulatory, Legal, etc.) and in concert with overarching business strategies.
- Application of the Challenger Sales Model across the sales continuum
- B.S. in biology, microbiology, chemistry, chemical engineering, or a related technical field. M.S., PhD, and/or M.B.A. a plus.
- Minimum 12 years prior experience in specialty chemical Sales and/or Marketing. Prior experience managing specialty chemical distribution accounts is a plus.
- Stellar verbal, written, and formal presentation skills. Comfortable in front of and traveling with senior leaders and high-level executives, both internal and external.
- Complete fluency in the English language.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs – Word, Excel, and PowerPoint – as well as Salesforce.com. Working knowledge of SAP is a plus.
- Home-office environment.
- Overnight travel estimated at or greater than 50%. Some global travel may be required.