Senior Scientist - Purification (Virus) - 12 months fixed term contract
United Kingdom, Slough
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are seeking cover for a 12 months fixed term contract to work in Slough, UK .
This position will involve regular travel (on a monthly basis, approximately two weeks out of every four) to an external contract facility in Stirling, Scotland; which is equipped for conducting virus reduction laboratory projects. A daily disturbance allowance is given. You are likely to stay for periods Monday to Friday and return home for the weekend. Travel is dependent on virus-testing requirements as per the project and will vary.
The purpose of these roles is to execute specific virus reduction studies to support customers’ biologics licensing applications (IND (Investigational New Drug) & BLA (biologics license application)). You will also, perform virus validation studies to demonstrate the effectiveness of purification processes for the reduction of viruses.
- Set up and operation of small-scale chromatography based purification systems
- Set up and operation of small scale ultrafiltration and dead-end filtration systems
- Protein purification
- Carrying our viral clearance safety studies
- Execution of standard chromatography experiments
- Analyse protein samples by a variety of analytical techniques
- Ensure that experimental details, raw data and results are recorded as appropriately
- Following protocols and working to GMP standards
- Ensure that experimental details, raw data and results are recorded as appropriate
- Collate, analyse and evaluate data to produce good quality process information
- Operate as part of a cross-functional project team based across multiple sites
- BSc / PhD in Biotechnology or in a relevant scientific discipline and appropriate laboratory experience.
- Theoretical knowledge of protein chemistry and protein purification
- Strong practical laboratory skills in protein purification
- Experience / knowledge of virus clearance studies and scale-down models
- Knowledge of GLP / GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice)
- Quality management system experience – deviation / CAPA (Corrective and preventive action) writing and investigations
- Creation of processing documents experience – virus study protocol / SOP
- Experience with laboratory scale AKTA chromatography and proficient in the use of Unicorn software
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.