Senior Scientist (Analytical Development)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is establishing a strategic biomanufacturing base in China using GE Healthcare Solutions. With the new facility, Lonza is responding to growing demand for a high-quality CDMO in the Chinese market. You will be joining the Analytical Development team in Lonza Guangzhou Biologics. You need to work to the highest scientific and quality standards under the direction of the Line Manager; to communicate project updates to internal and external customers; to contribute to the efficient running of the department including instigating and delivering operational efficiency projects.
- To perform hands-on laboratory work in the analytical development team to support process development teams to generate test data to enable cell line selection, upstream process development and purification process development.
- To perform hands-on laboratory work to support protein structure / function determination. These can include protein characterisation, product stability testing, test method development and assay validation activities.
- Test methods include, but are not limited to, techniques using capillary electrophoresis, high-performance liquid chromatography, oligosaccharide analysis, spectrophotometry, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, Quantitative real time polymerase chain reaction, etc.
- General laboratory support including housekeeping, equipment calibration and maintenance, inventory of supplies, etc.
- Contribute to customer projects by generating and interpreting scientific data from experimental work.
- Deliver high quality communication to ensure an outstanding customer experience (written reports, presentations, teleconferences and face to face meetings).
- Working as part of a site and global project team, co-ordinate multiple projects (if at senior level) and ensure timely delivery of project work stages.
- Facilitate communication between other departments locally (eg Quality Control/ Quality Aassurance) and across the global Lonza network.
- Documentation of results in accordance with Lonza policies and current Good Manufacturing Practices (Current Good Manufacture Practices).
- Technical review of data (if at senior level) generated by others highlighting any unusual or atypical results and leading appropriate investigations (eg Out of specification).
- May mentor junior members (if at a senior level) to assist in their development, providing a transfer of knowledge and hands-on technical training.
- May be owner of quality records (if at a senior level) (Deviations, Corrective And Preventive Actions, change controls, tasks, effectiveness checks).
- May lead and direct study programmes (if at a senior level) including the execution of associated laboratory work once candidate gains sufficient experience in Lonza
- If at a senior level, author and perform technical review of study data, protocols and reports to ensure delivery of high quality and Good Manufacture Practices compliant results.
- The initial phase of this position will be involved in the establishment of the facility (including but not limited to equipment and inventory purchase, equipment qualification runs, facility design and set up).
- Degree in a relevant Science field or Equivalent
- Minimum 3 to 5 years work experience or Doctor of Philosophy with minimum 2 years post doctoral experience
- Practical laboratory experience in analytical testing for antibodies or proteins is required
- Understanding of theory and application of protein production, purification and analysis
- Good problem solving and analytical skills
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Good team working skills
- Experience working within a formal Quality Management System
- Fluency in written and spoken English will be advantageous
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.