Group Leader - Virus
United Kingdom, Slough
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
This role is created primarily to deliver strategic projects within the virus reduction group and to act as a lead on BLA (Biologics Licensing Application) enabling virus reduction studies where required. This is not a laboratory based role primarily but a role that has oversight and leads multi site – multi location projects within the department.
- Implement the Outsourcing of viral reduction stages including. The range of outsourced activities will vary between projects from ‘full outsource’ to ‘partial’ outsource.
- The use of external contract facilities for execution of scaled down experimental work in accordance with a Lonza study protocol (outsourcing a proportion of Lonza studies)
- Evaluation of alternative laboratory service providers for testing / client lab offering - to enable Lonza the opportunity to use alternative facilities as a matter of ‘good practice’
- Implementation of electronic laboratory data recording for viral clearance studies (longer term)
- Strategic or ‘Future Proofing’ projects will be identified in consultation with role holder as projects are delivered.
- Support more junior members of the team in the design of scaled down experiments for the validation of purification processes.
- Line manage scientists and technologists and deploy them appropriately on either strategic project implementation or commercial project delivery.
- Lead and be part of delivery of relevant work packages (BLA virus studies and strategic projects to project timelines and to the required standard).
- B.Sc. in relevant discipline, biochemistry, biochemical engineering, biology.
- Industry experience in study direction and project management.
- Delivery of strategic projects and a knowledge of outsourcing
- Proven experience in Virus reduction and project management.
- Experience in line management or in a supervisory role.
- Ability to take technical insights from one discipline and apply to a different discipline
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.