Senior Technologist (Cell Banking)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is establishing a strategic biomanufacturing base in China using GE Healthcare Solutions. With the new facility, Lonza is responding to growing demand for a high-quality CDMO in the Chinese market. The Cell banking group are responsible for the creation and maintenance of the Current Good Manufacture Practices master and working cell banks used for the production of novel therapeutic recombinant proteins for Lonza’s global client base.
- To create and maintain cell banks of mammalian cell lines within a Current Good Manufacture Practices clean room environment. Activities include cell culture work such as subculture, medium preparation and preparation of end of production cell banks.
- Establish and creating/writing Standard Operation Procedure (especially in the initial phase) for all cell banking related activities
- Perform process transfer (i.e. from development team) and prepare batch records and/or process transfer from customer(s) to accept their cell lines and introduce their media and cell culture process into Current Good Manufacture Practices cell banking facility.
- Trainer for operator qualifications for processing and gowning and other Current Good Manufacture Practices cell banking activities.
- Routine maintenance including but not limited to equipment checks and maintenance, stores, cleaning.
- Management of the Current Good Manufacture Practices cell bank facility such as equipment service, shipping logistics of cell banks, inventory management, equipment replacement and validation.
- Booking and reviewing various internal or external testing such as mycoplasma and adventitious testing and release of cell banks for Current Good Manufacture Practices manufacturing
- Coordinate and enable shipping schedules/ logistics for sending cell banks for external testing or transfer to other sites/customers
- Document and may own quality records (deviations, change controls, log book checks)
- Accurate completion of batch record documentation, reports and Standard Operation Procedure in accordance with Lonza policies and current Good Manufacturing Practices
- May require to deliver high quality communication to ensure an outstanding customer experience (written reports, presentations, telecons, face to face meetings).
- Working as part of a site and global project team, co-ordinate and lead multiple projects and ensure timely delivery of project workstages.
- Review of data generated by others highlighting any unusual or atypical results/procedures.
- Draft (and start to review) reports generated from cell banking activities at a high level of quality and scientific standards.
- Mentor and train junior members to assist in their development, providing a transfer of knowledge and hands-on technical training.
- Demonstrated increased understanding of the scientific and technical theory behind Lonza and customer processes.
- Troubleshooting technical challenges in customer projects
- Ownership of cell banking facility areas and/or Standard Operation Procedure
- Start to contribute to technical scoping of proposals.
- The initial phase of this position will be involved in the establishment of the facility (including but not limited to equipment and inventory purchase, equipment and facility validation and qualification runs, facility design and set up).
- Degree/Masters in a relevant Science field or Equivalent
- Minimum 5 years work experience
- 2 to 3 years of practical laboratory experience in cell culture in a Current Good Manufacture Practices facility is required
- The final role offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience.
- Understanding of theory and application of mammalian cell culture.
- Strong knowledge of Current Good Manufacture Practices regulations
- Good problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Good teamworking skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English will be advantageous
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.