R&D Research Associate
United States, Durham (North Carolina)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The R&D Research Associate (RA) is responsible for the development and optimization of product offerings and applications for the cell biology portfolio in the bioresearch and pharmaceutical discovery and development market. The RA will execute scientific experiments in the area of cell biology, cell isolation, cell culture and cell-based assay, with an emphasis of primary human cells and stem cells.
- Executes cell isolation and cell culture experiments as well as cell-based assays.
- Supports experimental planning and analysis.
- Documents results according to best scientific practice. Supports experimental planning and analysis.
- Supports troubleshooting.
- Provides technical support for manufacturing and quality functions.
- Supports the evaluation of ideas for novel products, improvements and applications and the establishment of new methods in the laboratory.
- Maintains laboratory infrastructure including ordering of materials.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a life science discipline with at least three (3) years of hands-on experience with primary and/or stem cell culture.
- Knowledge and expertise in cell isolation, advanced cell culture methodology, cell-based in-vitro models, media development, and cell-based assays is a plus.
- Experience with one or more of those areas beneficial: Immunology, Neurobiology, Vascular Biology, Stem Cell Biology
- Experience with one or more of those areas beneficial: 3D Cell Culture, Spheroids, Micro-Fluidics, Bioprinting
- Experience with one or more of those methods beneficial: Immunocytochemistry, Immunohistochemistry, Microscopy, Flow Cytometry, qPCR, ELISA, TEER
- Working knowledge of technologies regarding human cells as models for biomedical research and drug discovery applications are a plus
- Basic computer software skills (MS Office) are essential, laboratory specific software (e.g. Prism, FlowJo, ImageJ) are a plus
- Must be able to independently execute scientific experiment based on manager’s guidance
- Must be able to accurately document results according to best scientific practice.
- Comfortable with working outside regular office hours, on weekends and holidays when necessary.
- Able to travel both domestically and internationally up to 10% of the time in accordance with business needs would be a plus
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.