Senior Manager, R&D Discovery Solutions
United States, Durham (North Carolina)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Senior Manager, R&D of Discovery Solutions works in collaboration with business teams to develop, align and execute R&D strategy and projects. Leads a team of Scientists and Research Associates, and manages R&D assets in the Lonza Bioscience Center for Cell Biology Excellence in Durham, North Carolina. Primary activities are development and optimization of product offerings and application and support tools to drive business growth of the cell biology portfolio in bioresearch and pharmaceutical discovery and development market. Develops and leverages profound knowledge in the area of cell biology, cell isolation and cell culture, with an emphasis on primary human cells and stem cells for use in disease research, drug discovery and cell therapy applications.
- Supervises staff and manages R&D laboratory, including budget planning and cost management
- Evaluates resource and personnel needs and ensures that departmental goals, schedules, and budget targets are met
- Leads teams to develop new cell biology-related products, improvements and applications
- Collaborates with other functions to evaluate opportunities, and align R&D activities with business goals
- Works with stakeholder groups in accordance with Lonza processes, to design project proposals and plans, manage R&D commitments, identify, manage and escalate risks, in order to meet agreed outcomes within target deadlines and costs
- Provides advanced scientific support and training for sales, marketing and customers, and provides technical support for manufacturing and quality functions
- Develops technical content to support marketing campaigns and tactical activities for new and existing products
- Establishes excellent networks and working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Continuously expands the R&D team’s knowledge and skills in target technology and methods and provides continuous feedback to Marketing and Sales
- Establishes Lonza leadership in cell biology through regular and impactful industry presence
- Ph.D. in a life science discipline with at least five (5) years of hands-on experience with primary and/or stem cell culture.
- Supervisory experience with documented strong team leadership for at least three (3) years.
- Must be able to independently develop and assess new ideas, design technology roadmaps, project plans, and lead project teams in a matrix design.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills and experience in team work in different contexts and roles.
- Extensive working knowledge of technologies regarding human cells as models for biomedical research and drug discovery applications is essential.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.