Associate Director, Business Development - Cell & Gene Technologies (East Coast)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are currently looking for a Business Development professional to join our growing team on the East Coast – US (Remote Based). In this role, you will be responsible for building a strong pipeline of projects from new clients. You will be identifying prospects, turning them into leads and finally, moving those leads to signed contracts. To establish a strong network within the Cell and Gene therapy industry and build relationships with key decision makers. To represent Lonza’s Cell & Gene Therapy business and promote Lonza’s service offering at conferences and tradeshows.
- Spends time in the field networking and attending conferences to generate new prospects, leads and opportunities. Gathers market insights including competitive information. Role requires traveling 50%+ of the time.
- Works closely with the Proposal and Commercial Development team on assessing opportunities and developing a tailored proposal and value proposition to client.
- Develops, nurtures and maintains a strong network in the Cell and Gene Therapy market from which to drive future opportunities. Works closely with marketing department to support tradeshows, roadshows and conferences.
- Structures deals, leads the negotiations process and closes deals with the support from Commercial Development.
- Minimum BSc degree in Life Sciences with previous commercial experience (Business Development, Marketing, Sales) in the biopharmaceutical industry; Advanced Business Degree (MBA) and/or PhD degree in bioprocessing, biology, and bioengineering are highly desirable.
- Significant experience in B2B sales, preferably in a contract development or manufacturing environment (CDMO/CMO).
- Demonstrated record of successful negotiation of multi-million-dollar service contracts. Strong and demonstrated negotiation skills is a must-have to qualify for this position.
- Experience with delivering presentations to Senior Executives with the result of achieving buy-in for next step in the sales process.
- Experience with outlining, structuring, and delivering different types of deals including licensing, service, pipeline agreements.
- Solid understanding of the Cell Therapy and Gene Therapy industry and trends.
- Knowledge of key concepts of process development and manufacturing under cGMP.
- Good understanding of drug development including commercialization concepts.
- Familiar with SalesForce.com or other customer management system.
- Strong interpersonal, relationship and networking skills.
- Ability to identify sweet spot between Client needs and Lonza’s offering leading to a win-win outcome.
- Able to align stakeholders within the business to achieve a common goal in the best interest of both Lonza and the Client
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.