Formulation Chemist - Cell Biologist
United States, Walkersville (Maryland)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Creates recipes and executes test batch formulations, manufacturing experimental media for internal R&D, including tests of solubility and functionality. Media formulation including calculations of molarity to g/L, pH and osmolality adjustments. Organizes and tracks records of batch recipe versions, orders raw materials and maintains the formulation laboratory. Position is based in Rockville, MD.
- Manufacture research scale media for testing, including formulating complete media from various recipe formats, converting from molarity to g/L and vice versa.
- Contribute to creation of novel media recipes based on nutritional ingredient understanding.
- Utilize knowledge of nutrition to incorporate new raw materials in media formulations
- Execute QC assays for chemical products including solubility, pH, osmolality, and functionality in biological assays.
- Maintain stocks of chemicals in the formulation laboratory, ordering and tracking materials as required.
- Maintain precise records of batch formulations and conditions of execution including but not limited to water quality, temperature, agitation rate, filtration methodology, packaging formats, and storage conditions.
- Maintain laboratory equipment required for media formulation. Enter and review formulation recipes in an organized tracking system.
- Master’s degree in Biology or related discipline
- Working related laboratory experience.
- Knowledge of physical chemistry, biochemistry, mathematical calculations, statistical analysis, technical writing, laboratory equipment.
- Cell Culture experience
- Experience with cell culture media
- Experience working with fibroblasts and/or myoblasts (a plus)
- Computer literate including, but not limited to, SAP and MS Office.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.